Wood ideas for cigar style pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikedealer

I know there are a lot of burl blanks that would look great, but would want to try and avoid a 10 dollar blank if possible

Would like to hear any ideas on blanks that would look good on a cigar "label" style pen, emulating tobacco grain and/or have a chocolate brown color

I have a supply of cross grain cut cocobolo that's beautiful, but the batch I have has a lot of the half and half flame orange wood blended in. It's looks amazing on pens but cigar pens it looks weird. I have some rosewood blanks but the grain runs lengthwise and while color is ok the patterns weren't.

I've tried using a few different woods and used stain (I used transtint dark and mix with denatured alcohol). Problem was the absorption or lack thereof into the wood. Most woods looked spotty. Tried softer woods and bled too much into the wood. I tried lacquer painting them with transtint mixed with lacquer to give it a brown lacquer even glaze. Results weren't fabulous on any wood.

So at this point would love any ideas of a wood to try.
Any ideas or sources to purchase? I want like 15-20 blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I made two Bethlehem olive wood cigars for some folks that I study the Bible with, and the both came out great. I used a straight CA finish on both. The BOW is just one of many less expensive options.

mikedealer

true. i have a few peices of walnut from a random lot that were highly figured and they were just in a lot of 100 random blanks for 30 bucks or something.

The walnut for me though, the coloring is typically a little off and too light and "grey" hue to it.. not usually a chocolate brown consistently. Problem is sorta tracking down new ones to order and if coloring is off etc. will be a waste.

i think i may try some monkeypod wood, its cheap, and it is supposedly dark. not sure if anyone has tried any before
100 Pieces monkeypod Turning Squares 3 4" x 3 4" x 5" Long Like Figured Walnut | eBay

dfross

I also love the Bethlehem olive wood for the cigar pen. I usually use the premium blanks that are not that more expensive for better grain.

Top Bottom