Wood ID . what is it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coop

I friend gave me several blanks of a unknown wood type. It is very heavy and dense. Pattern of the wood grain has some greenish tint when fresh cut;with the brown grains. I have it ID'ed down to two kinds or types. It is a oily wood. I added two photos of the wood and one is different sides showing on some blanks. Can anyone ID this wood?

2007913817_DSCI0243.jpg

2007913915_DSCI0244.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beamer

The front one is almost certainly Ipe. I'd put $$$ on it :D

The other two could be the same, but it's hard to tell. The 2nd one has saw marks that are throwing me off (at least those look like saw marks to me). The rear one could be ipe, too.

I'd venture to guess that a deck has been recently put in or flooring? Ipe's an excellent wood for decks.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Yet another vote for Ipe. I have some decking material that looks exactly like that!

Off topic: at least for us Ipe isn't a good decking material in the 1x4/1x6 boards they sell around here. It is too dense to soak in any sort of sealer and so warps mightily.

GK

beamer

Huh ... it wasn't far from here I'd heard about it - i wonder if his deck is now a skateboarder's paradise ... hahah

Noted - I'll avoid ipe for my future outdoor wooden structures! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom