Wood ID Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hey Folks:

This is reddish-brown with very tight grain; and hard (almost like acacia). Anyway, I either bought from a member or it was given to me. It was marked "IPE" which can be the initials of the wood, the nice guy who owned it, or whatever. I don't have to know what it is, but would like to. The client wanted something dark with his monogram and a image of a compass on it. He didn't want any grain competing with the engraving.

This has only been roughed, if that helps.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

Attachments

• Please ID.jpg
    Please ID.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Back in the 1990's, when I was making custom furniture, I selected Ipe due to the wood's great outdoor properties. I used it to make 4 rather expensive pool-side lounge chairs for a guy who just had way too much money. (That is another story. :wink:) He had already hired me to make a huge dining table for his one-bedroom, 5000 Sq Ft house. (The other br's were in a separate house on the property.) He put a hold on the table project, and contracted for me to do all the finish carpentry on the 5000 Ft house, thinking a furniture guy would do a better job. Who was I to argue? :wink: I had not worked "construction" prior to that! The real point I wanted to make here before getting side-tracked on the above story, is that in researching the Ipe, I discovered that here are very few adhesives that will work for furniture-grade glue joints due to the extreme oiliness of the wood. I finally found a Canadian source epoxy, maybe called G-4, G-2 (or something like that...can't remember) that was suitable for this particular wood. Most adhesives just will not work.

Top Bottom