Wood ID help please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Guys, I need some wood ID help! I can identify almost all native Texas woods but I honestly know very little about exotics. I have not paid any attention to most of the exotics since I much prefer local native exotics!

Anyway, an old timer around here gave me a board yesterday. The board is over 50 years old and he seems to think he remembers the person he got it from saying it came from South America. It is pretty hard and heavy but not excessively. The wood is very orange/red. Can you tell me what it is?

Here is a scan of a couple blanks I cut. The dark one has been sprayed with gloss lacquer.

20083216143_blanks.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

What is the color of the exposed part before you cut it?

Padauk don't retain its color for too long.

Narra will almost stay as-is unless exposed to the elements. Narra (amboyna if burl) also have a distinct aroma.

Though it could be any of these...I am leaning towards Paduak too because of the color.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Well from everything said, I guess it is Padauk! As for smell, I really don't know. I have EXTREMELY good dust collection at all my machines and I never get to smell most woods when cutting or turning. It does create a very orange dust and when I sprayed the piece with lacquer, the wet lacquer turned orange! The piece of wood was 50 or so years old and had sat in a barn for a long time so the outside was very dirty and dark brown/black. Thanks all.

JohnU

I agree with wickford, if it smells good it paduak. It will also turn down very easy and sand fast. There will be sliver like pits in the wood grain also. Sometimes I have to fill some of them with ca before I finish it.

Top Bottom