wood ID help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

This is my first post. I am a longtime woodworker, short time pen maker. I have been reading and learning from here for a few months, and ordered some supplies from Bear Tooth Woods. I have some wood that I brought from Brazil after a mission trip. I had one of the guys there write on it for me. One piece he called "Maracatiara", the other "Arura`". Does it have a more common name? The Maracatiara is the prettiest of the two, and very hard. I plan to make a few pens and give them to the folks we work with in Brazil. Thanks for your help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

A Google search for Maracatiara produced numerous pages one of which is this one, "http://www.marinepar.com.br/produtos_muiracatiara_ing.htm" A Google search for "Arura" was not very successful.

Is the spelling correct for the second wood? [:)]

gerryr

Welcome to the IAP. Do you have pictures of the wood you can post? Searching the web it could be that the Maracatiara is actually spelled Muiracatiara and is also called Tigerwood or Goncalo Alves. I couldn't find anything about the other one, so the name must be a local one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom