Wood ID from Florida

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

I just cut some of this wood. I have seen this tree around here in yards. It is a medium size tree has a smooth bark. The area is Tampa Florida photos below of the dry trunk, wet trunk & wet cut grain and a sprout of leaves. I also got the root ball and it looks like it mite contain some real good gnarly looking wood. The wood seams to be hard. There was a slime around the cut sap (nasty stuff like an eel) in the root ball that was cut probably over a week ago.

That should be enough info I need a positive ID.

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I have a faint memory of a tree at my grandmother's house when I grew up in Florida many years ago. The bark of your tree reminds me of that tree.

I think that you have a hunk of American Sycamore, which is about the same as the European Plane tree.

bruce119

Don't hold me to this, but I'm thinking Plum.
I don't think it is plum never saw any fruit on them. They are a common ornamental tree here in Florida.

I have a faint memory of a tree at my grandmother's house when I grew up in Florida many years ago. The bark of your tree reminds me of that tree.

I think that you have a hunk of American Sycamore, which is about the same as the European Plane tree.
Defiantly not sycamore I know sycamore well it gets BIG.
The bark is similar to sycamore but sycamore gets a little flaky this does not it is patchy color and smooth.

Very common in yards in Florida usually not higher than 25-30 foot this is a big one for it's type.

Keep trying thanks

greggas

Looking through my Audubon guide very quickly...bark and leaves seems to resemble a Mountain Stewartia. But the coloring also looks similar to a cuban species that I bought a chunk of ( from florida ) a few years ago.....I think that was called Cuban Dogwood ???

sbwertz

Leaves and bark look like chinese elm. The foliage on a chinese elm look kind of like a weeping willow....long twigs with small leaves on each side and drooping. The bark is smooth and thin pieces curl and flake off. I have a 40 foot tall 60 foot wide one in my back yard and have turned some nice pieces from it. Google chinese elm for more pictures. Here are pictures of the bark and leaves from my tree.

Attachments

• chinese.elm.jpg
    chinese.elm.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 106
  • elm bark.jpg
    elm bark.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 108
  • elm leaves.jpg
    elm leaves.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

sailing_away

I don't know either. I picked up a piece that looks just like that a few weeks ago. I have the ends sealed until I can get the time to turn it. Looks real interesting.

cnirenberg

Bruce,
Possibly Gumbo Limbo. At least that's what the pictures look like. Never turned it, but I heard that it floats and the oldtimers made "bobbers" out of it.

bruce119

I found this: http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/3163678
or this: http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/Gumbo-limbo/gumblimb.htm

It appears to be that same tree that Sharon posted.

LEaves are wrong. The pic posted shows alternating leaves, and the Gumbo has adjacent leaves.

I agree it's not Gumbo

Leaves and bark look like chinese elm. The foliage on a chinese elm look kind of like a weeping willow....long twigs with small leaves on each side and drooping. The bark is smooth and thin pieces curl and flake off. I have a 40 foot tall 60 foot wide one in my back yard and have turned some nice pieces from it. Google chinese elm for more pictures. Here are pictures of the bark and leaves from my tree.

Yes I do believe this is it Chinese Elm also known as Lacebark Elm. I goggled it and came up with this
http://www.chineseelm.com/
http://www.cirrusimage.com/tree_Chinese_elm.htm

The leaves and description are a match. The trunks of the trees I see around here are always gnarly and full of nubs maybe from constant pruning.

Well I will give it a spin and see how it turns. I do have a big chunk of the root ball that looks like it has some wild grain in it.

Thanks for the help I will post picts when I turn something.

crabcreekind

Have you ever watched the woodturning workshop where he makes the soup ladle?..
He uses a wood called darnifiknow it is pretty hard and looks great.
Actually its "darn if i know" it had been in his shop so long he didnt remember what kind it was. Maybe that it what you have here.

bruce119

Take the pic's down to your local forester and they can help for sure. Did you try this site, http://www.floridaforest.org/tree_identification.php ?

Thanks for the link but it's not going to be much help. That is for native trees and like the people that live here. The introduced trees way out number the native I would bet at least 100 to 1. This is a sub tropical environment and just about anything in world planted here can grow. :biggrin:

I am almost certain now it is the China Elm. Seems it is commonly sold as ornamental trees and there are a huge variety of nursery trees here.

I did turn out a quick vase the wood turned real nice and it looks good. The piece I used was challenging had rot and some punky spots. Now we will see how it behaves as it dries. I like to turn green and thin let the wood move as it dries. Some move a lot some don't.

Top Bottom