Wood ID assist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phillikl

Got a chunk of wood from a friend; found it in the attic of his old house (built early 1900's). Not sure where it came from or what it is. The darker portion is not finished (or what appears), the yellow portion is turned down. It's about as hard as red oak. Has no smell or taste. I could only assume its native to west Tennessee. It did have quite a bit of insect damage. The color is about that of mustard or a #2 pencil.

Thanks for the help,

Kendall

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mdromey

My vote is Osage Orange. I am almost certain. But my second choice would be Mulberry.

Mike

leehljp

Member Liaison
Osage orange / Bodark / Bois d'Arc / hedge apple / horse Apple. All the same.

And mulberry does look a little like that when it is fairly freshly cut, and mulberry turns an almost walnut brown with time if unfinished or unwaxed - just like the background wood you have there. But Bodark does also. Still, I would say OO/Bodark.

Last edited:

Phillikl

Thanks!! I read Osage orange will dye water to an orangesh color, will give that a try tomorrow.... So if water turns orange, Osage if not mulberry!

Thanks again!!
~Kendall

JohnU

In my experience with hedge/Osage Orange. it turns very dark with time, which explains the darkness of the unturned piece. It is very hard and unfortunately when left exposed to the light, will darken again from that bright color to a burnt brownish orange color. The grain in your piece looks right for Osage as well. It has been use in its natural form as fence posts and more recently bow building, because of its strength and natural ability not to rot or break down in weather. Yellow heart also resembles your turned piece but is not native that that area.

Last edited:

Phillikl

Finally got back to my science project (put a piece of scap in water); water turned light orange. Soooo Osage Orange it is!

Thanks for the help!
~Kendall

carpblaster

looks like the same osage i turned a top out of. i got a longbow made out of osage orange
after 30 years its one of the prettiest colors,put yours in the window in the sun for a week,if it starts turning brown,u know for sure its osage

Top Bottom