Wood ID ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Help with wood ID, this is scraps of flooring that i'm not sure what it is. It is rather brown and has very yellow streaks in it. When its cut yellow dust goes all over. Thanks for any help, LandfillLumber

2007814152924_small1331.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
It is very dense. I thought it was really only used outside for decks? This was laid in a house as the house had no deck on it. I'm guessing Ipe is not a turning wood??? Thanks everyone, landfillLumber

Tuba707

Ipe is used for decking because of its durability. It is hard and heavy.

Massaranduba is used for many of the same things, but it is typically redder (at least in my experience).

mick

Originally posted by LandfillLumber
<br />I'm guessing Ipe is not a turning wood??? Thanks everyone, landfillLumber
<b>Is there a wood NOT used for turning?</b>[:0]
Seriously it looks like the Ipe I have.

Thanks everyone for the feed back, It must be Ipe. How is it to turn besides being very hard, does it make nice pens, I'm guessing it can take a nice shine being so dense. Thanks Again, Victor

wicook

It takes a beautiful shine, Landfill! Ipe was the wood in my first pen. I finished it with a friction polish (HUT sticks, I think). It's a testimony to the inherent ability of the hard wood to shine that it's still nice and shiny. Unfortunately I can't say the same about any other pens I've finished with friction polishes -- especially not the HUT sticks! If you cut it at a bias, you get a MUCH more beautiful turning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom