Wood Glue for Inlay kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ttalbert

Anyone use wood glue, such as Titebond, for gluing up laser cut inlay kits? I'm thinking the water based glue may soften up the small fragile pieces and allow them to fit into place easier without breaking. Also, the pieces would swell some, filling gaps.

Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Nope. I've made about a dozen inlay kits and CA is all I have used, with excellent results, if I may add.

I have used Titebond Wood glue, however, for gluing segments and exclusively when is wood to wood.

mrcook4570

Wood glue works fine. You can even thin it with water and your thinking is spot on. CA will also work. If the piece is just slightly loose, I will usually use wood glue. If it is tight enough to stay in place on its own, I will drizzle some thin CA around the edges.

LagniappeRob

One of the kits I've done (a flag from Kallenshaan Woods I think... or maybe it was one of the Civil War kits... I forget) specifically called for a WB glue thinned down with water for gluing.

edstreet

I have not used a WB glue but I would caution that it would most likely cause the color dyes to run.

Incorrect. The 'dye' is from stabilization and it will not run. This is not your food color dye either.

I have used watered down wood glue in the past and it does work good but thin CA works much better.

Top Bottom