Wood Gloat: Three Way Cherrry Crotch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

Tree removal people cut me this section this morning! This is an old dead tree that had been sitting there for several years with no life left in it. The limbs were all broken out and no leaves were on it. I'm thinking that means the wood is pretty dry already, since it has had a chance to dry on the dead tree.

Am I right in this?

ATT000232.jpg

ATT00026.jpg

ATT00020.jpg

ATT00017.jpg

I'll share with anyone who is close enough to help me cut it into bowl and pen blanks.

Julia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

A rule of thumb for air drying wood is that it takes about a year for each inch of thickness. Now, some woods dry faster than others, but on average, a 12-inch thick tree trunk would take about 12 years to dry out all the way through.

If someone gave me that chunk, I'd probably cut it and seal the ends (actually, I'd take a moisture meter to it, but I presume if you had one you wouldn't be asking here).

Regards,
Eric

Fred

Julia ... How will you handle this piece of tree? I think it must be rather heavy and awkward to move around in your shop. There fore you must cut it up a bit and make some bowl blanks and of course a few hundred pen blanks. Keep us posted as to what you decide to do with your 'present.' BTW, very nice dog! [:D]

jtate

I'm going to try to find a friend with a chain saw to get it into manageable chunks. Then I'll make bowl and pen blanks.

Sure with an IAP person was local to help with this!

loglugger

HF has a moisture meter for 29 $ on sale most of the time for 19 $ that will give you a close reading of what you have and if it is dry or not. Cheep way to get by.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom