Wood Gloat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toyotaman

I found a trailer load of this today. It was being throwed out. The owner said it was Chinese Cherry. It's 14-17 plus inches through with some fantastic grain. I hope to get it cut up and sealed tomorrow. It should make for some great pen blanks and other turnings.

Attachments

• IMG_3368.jpg
    IMG_3368.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_3372.jpg
    IMG_3372.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_3367.jpg
    IMG_3367.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 238
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

Does not look like they sealed the ends on that at all. Plenty of cracking going on.

Why on earth would someone seal the ends of pieces of wood they were throwing away?:rolleyes:

Bit late to seal the ends POST cracks don't you think? Didn't operate the brain before engaging the reply button? I was referencing the state of the wood several years ago when it was freshly cut vs today. Thought that was common knowledge, I am sorry you did not understand that.

stonyloam

Bit late to seal the ends POST cracks don't you think?

I do not. Those pieces appear to be 3 feet long at least, and the checks probably extend no more than a couple of inches in, and since they are still in the round they still have a lot of drying to do. I see no reason they can not be treated as fresh wood, checked ends trimmed off and sealed. Just IMHO. BTW most of my blanks come from the firewood pile too LOL.
P.S. Send me the stuff between the checks, could make some nice blanks out of the wood between LOL.

Last edited:

toyotaman

The checks are only about an inch or so deep and will be trimmed off and cut into pen, pepper mill, stopper and maybe a few bowl blanks. It's been rainning alot today so I did not get to cut any up but it's suppose to be nice tomorrow. More pics to come later.

Top Bottom