Wood Filler for voids?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Not sure if this is the right spot for this, mods may move this if needed.

I was reading about the colored filler material, the stuff that some of you use on your blanks to fill the voids, and i was wondering if i could use mica powereds? or if i needed to purchase something different. I know beartoothwoods has crushed filler material, not sure about any of our other vendors do or not, i have a special project coming up and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna need something to fill the voids.
Thank you for any and all answers and suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Depending on how big the voids are, you can fill small ones with a mix of powdered mica and gel CA. Working time is about 60-90 seconds.

longbeard

Thanks Manny,
now you say "gel ca" Is that different than the thin, med, thick stuff i've been using?
forgive the ignorance.

its_virgil

Mixing mica powder in two part epoxy also works well. I use 5 min epoxy but you must wait for it to cure enough before moving to the next place or the epoxy will run. I have not tried CA but if Monty says it will work then that is good enough for me. Actually, most any powder can be used. Do a good turn daily!
Don

I was reading about the colored filler material, the stuff that some of you use on your blanks to fill the voids, and i was wondering if i could use mica powereds? or if i needed to purchase something different. I know beartoothwoods has crushed filler material, not sure about any of our other vendors do or not, i have a special project coming up and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna need something to fill the voids.

longbeard

I scrape dust and small chips up off the bench the lathe is on and use that and CA glue.

That i've done also, just wondering if can use mica powders without wasting the mica or ruining the blank.
As far as the void goes on this blank, i dont have the blank yet, but was told that it might have a few voids to fill, so just trying to get ahead of it before i get it, its for a trade i'm doing, some wood for a pencil.

longbeard

Mixing mica powder in two part epoxy also works well. I use 5 min epoxy but you must wait for it to cure enough before moving to the next place or the epoxy will run. I have not tried CA but if Monty says it will work then that is good enough for me. Actually, most any powder can be used. Do a good turn daily!
Don

Thank you Virgil
might see if i have a blank to play around on.

thewishman

Harry, I know that this isn't the answer to the question you asked about mica powders. I have used brass shavings to fill voids with very good results. You can leave it dull or polish it to brightness and it looks good either way. Not mica, but applied the same way with CA.

longbeard

Harry, I know that this isn't the answer to the question you asked about mica powders. I have used brass shavings to fill voids with very good results. You can leave it dull or polish it to brightness and it looks good either way. Not mica, but applied the same way with CA.

Thank you Chris
never thought of other material than powder to use

mdm0829

I use embossing powder from Mochael's. Lots of colors, reasonably priced. I have also used brass from key machines at the big box stores. They are willing to give it away.

Mike D

I use embossing powder from Michael's as well. I took a small pen tube and cut a profile on the end and made a wood handle and use that as a scoop for crushed stone, embossing powder etc...That way I can direct the powder into the area I need it. I use thin CA to lock the material into the void.

Last edited:

ElMostro

If the voids are not too big you can use ground coffee, stuff the void with coffee and then use some thin CA, the coffee acts as an accelerator and the CA hardens almost instantly. Do not do this for large voids though bec the CA will cure on the surface grounds and not reach the deeper areas.

Eugene.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I use embossing powder from Michael's as well. I took a small pen tube and cut a profile on the end and made a wood handle and use that as a scoop for crushed stone, embossing powder etc...That way I can direct the powder into the area I need it. I use thin CA to lock the material into the void.
This works if the void is not too deep as, like with the coffee grounds, only the outer portion will harden.

longbeard

Alright, now you guys have my head spinning.
Hopefully if the blank does have any voids, they will be minor ones.
I will post a pic of it when i get it.

Jim Burr

Banned
All sorts of stuff can be used to fill voids...brass filings from keys, espresso powder, sawdust, turquoise, coral, iron oxide, Pearl ex or any mica powder, crushed pasta...list goes on and on!!! CA is good to lock it in, so is epoxy if you want to color it...CA doesn't color well.

Mike D

This works if the void is not too deep as, like with the coffee grounds, only the outer portion will harden.

I turn mine to almost finished dimension and then fill the void. I also use this for trim rings that I cut down to the tube and then fill the groove and CA. I haven't had any problems at all.

Top Bottom