Wood and cracks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pipeyeti

Just wondering how many of you avoid useing wood because of problems with the wood cracking after the pen has been sold. I found 2 pens that I had made with cracks at the nib end. One was amboyna burl and the other a segmented piece using different woods. Now I think that most of the problem was my fault. I was trying to clean glue from inside the tubes with a drill bit (held in my hand not a drill). I thought this would be much faster but I found it leaves small spiral scratches in the brass. That causes the nib to catch on them and try and go crooked as its pressed in. Needless to say I am using a kinder gentler way of removing the glue that don't have these problems. Anyway it got me thinking that what if I had sold these. before the cracks showed up? I am learning as I go.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Get yourself a chainsaw sharpening file at Lowes or H.D.. They fit perfect in a 7mm tube and can be used in larger tubes also. They work great on glue. They're not tapered like most round files and that allows you to file alot more evenly.

IPD_Mrs

Larry if your Amboyna is cracking after the pen is finished and sold, then you are most likely getting the blank too hot when drilling and or sanding. Slow down the lathe for sanding and slow down the drill press when drilling and take smaller bites and clear the bit frequently.

Mike

pipeyeti

Not sure how dry it was I had prchased it from CSUSA a few weeks earlier. I'm convinced it was my fault with the nibs trying to go cockeyed as I pressed them. That is solved. I now have a great system that works for me. I am more concerned with the wood spliting due to humid or arid conditions after the sale. I feel alot more comfort in selling acrylics. i also really enjoy working with the acrylics.

edstreet

Usually when wood cracks like that it means it's wet! Many times have I made that mistake but now I have a moisture meter and check things as i buy them. Also many places will improperly 'dry' wood i.e. snakewood.

Fred

Have any of you good folks ever used the brass cleaning brushes that us proud American gun and rifle owners use to clean the weapons barrels? They come in all different diameters and will really do a "bang" up good job on polishing the insides of the barrels and NOT remove very much brass at all. It sure doesn't remove anything like what file or drill would remove.

Anything such as glue, finishing materials, etc. gone in a second of turning ...

Try it. It just might be what you need! :D

jwoodwright

If you don't have a moisture meter, you can weight your blanks, wait a week and weight again. If they lost weight, then weight again in a week... etc...

I use the chain saw file or a four inch - 1/4" bolt to clean out the tubes. I bet a .223 barrel brush as suggested would work.

edstreet

I do not have to worry about glue or junk in the tubes because of the glue that I have. All I need to do is run a paper towel in the tube and get the dust out. I use loctite 324 speedbond ;)

Ed

Top Bottom