Wood Cracking/splitting after turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TDicaprio

First I would like to say I am very impressed with all of the information and experieince that is out there on this Forum....I have only been turning for 2 months now and love it.

Small issue I am having. A few of my finished pens are cracking/splitting after a few days. All of my wood is kept in the same room as my turning- not in the cold or hot. Wood is splitting at one end and not in the middle.
Thanks for any feedback or pointers to other links out there.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Are you resealing the ends before assembling and after you square them. Sounds like moisture is getting in the ends. Also could be to tight a fit on the fittings, requiring to much pressure to seat them. Check for any glue inside the barrels also. Jim S

SC_Turner

Welcome to the IAP. Where did you get the wood? Green wood will split at the ends as moisture tries to escape. Usually this is an issue with found wood or wood you cut yourself.

TDicaprio

Thanks Plantman- By sealing, what do you suggest? I am not doing anything to the ends at this point. Just sealing the turning with 3 coats of Shellawax. Agree that I am getting tight fits so I will look at the tubes and make sure they are cleaner.
Could too much heat from the friction wax be an issue? E.g. heats up the wood, wood cools and then cracks. Hmmmmmmmm

TDicaprio

I did get the wood from WoodCraft supply. It was a 1x1 uncut peice of Dalmata (a wood I am not familiar with). I did cut it myself. According to Woodcraft, their wood is kiln dried.

gwilki

Shellawax instructs to press hard and create lots of heat when applying it. If you are following those instructions, they could be the cause of your cracking. When I was using Shellawax, I followed the instructions religiously and had a few wood blanks crack as a result. I don't know if there is solution. Shellawax needs the heat to cure and harden. Heat is the enemy of the blank.

TDicaprio

Thanks Grant...interesting that you had the same situation using Shellawax. I love the look ,feel and ease of the product but may have to find another finish....or take the chance.

Thanks all for your help. Finding this forum a wealth of information.

low_48

I did get the wood from WoodCraft supply. It was a 1x1 uncut peice of Dalmata (a wood I am not familiar with). I did cut it myself. According to Woodcraft, their wood is kiln dried.

Bet it is not kiln dried. Was there wax on the ends when you bought it? Those exotic woods come from Peru, or South America. No one down there kiln dries it before shipping to USA. Have them check it with a pin less moisture meter for you. Are the insides of the tube free of glue? Sometimes you can leave a little glue in the tube, and that puts the pressure on the blank when you assemble it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom