Wood center bands and endcaps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Check Scott's article for tips on loose centerbands.
http://www.penturners.org/content/aaw-winter03-36-41pens.pdf

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Wow Jeff, that was a great article! I am amazed on a regular basis at how much knowledge is out there, and how much I have yet to learn. I am in the process of building workbenches and getting the shop ready to go in my new location in Pennsylvania, and am really inspired to do more with the Slimline kits. Thanks Scott, I am inspired and ready to turn.

William

tipusnr

I was trying to remember what got me started on wood centerbands. I remembered it was an article in an AAW newsletter just after I joined. Should have known it would be one of our forum members.

I can't tell you how much extra fun that article has given me (not including the frustration when I don't get the band blanks sides perfectly flat). On denser woods I've even made the sides a little concave to help mating the blanks up.

William Young

Jeff;
Thanks a bunch for that link to the slimline bands and modifications.
I just got back from an 8 day bluegrass music festival where I have been
*just a pickin' and a grinnin'*, morning , noon and night and now I'm catching up on some forum reading. I carefully tucked that article away in my computer for future reference and I will certainly be trying some of those tips when I get caught up with a few other scrollsawing and some general WW and turning projects . I should get back to pen turning in the next week or so but I still check this site daily for all the excellent help and suggestions.
This site is invaluable for pen turning rookies like me and many others.
W.Y.

Scott

Hi Jeff!

Thanks for posting the link to my article! For those who don't realize it, that link leads to the Articles section right here at Penturners.org. And there are a lot of articles there, covering all sorts of good stuff about penturning. Our newest article is from Fred Munday about CA/BLO finishes!

I went back and re-read my article from the AAW. I can't believe it was just a short time ago I wrote that! How time flies! I hope you all got a chance to look at those pens that were pictured in that article. Some of the best penturners around contributed pens for that picture. Most of those people are members here at Penturners.org. Angelo went on to write a penturning article in the next issue of the AAW magazine, and later became a member of the AAW Board of Directors!

The art and craft of Penturning is advancing rapidly. And we are in the thick of it! Wonderful new materials and pen kits are driving it. The Freedom Pen Project is driving it. AAW recognition is driving it. But most importantly, places like Penturners.org, the YAHOO Penturners Group and the Pen Makers Guild, with their wealth of knowledge and willingness to embrace innovation, they are driving it!

So jump in, have fun, and turn some pens!

Scott.

daledut

You may also want to pick up a copy of Issue #3 of Woodturning Design magazine. The article by Rich K. on the sweetheart pen, shows techniques that can be applied to your own CB's and Finials.

daledut

I have had spotty success finding it on newstands. You can buy individual issues and/or subscribe through Ryan at www.woodturningz.com, that is where I got my copy.

I found the first issue at Meijer store, but have not seen it since. Others have mentioned that they found it at Home Depot, but I have not seen it at my local one.

tipusnr

I also got the second issue at Meijers but just sent the check tonight for my subscription. Finally a magazine that has articles I can use instead of reviews of tools I can't afford.

melogic

Go to www.woodturningdesign.com and look on the left hand side of the page for a link to a subscription coupon. Print this out and mail it in to the address on the coupon and you can get a 2 year subscription for $39.94. Mine is in the mailbox waiting for the postman tomorrow.

CL

Decided last night to just go ahead and order the subscription. Does anyone know if you can get the back issues?

tipusnr

I went to their website (link listed in melogic's post) and didn't find that info so I joined their user forum and posted the question. Hopefully you'll have an answer soon!

tipusnr

Received an answer from Joe Herrmann, Editor Woodturning Design....here it is:

"Back issues are available and if you go to page 84 in the current issue, there are directions for ordering copies. Back issues are $7.49 ea and that includes shipping and handling. Send check or MO to our fullfillment agent at Woodturning Design Back Issues P.O. Box 470 Mount Morris, IL 61054-0470 Checks or MO should be payable to Woodturning Design Magazine."

How's that for service?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom