wood CB's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peninhandrjg

First just let me say that this is truly a great forum! As a newbie pen turner I have learned so very much here and would like to just say thanks to all of you for all the great information I have gotten here.
NOw for the question....I would really like to make some wood CB's for some of my pens.....give a brother a clue as to where to start.
Thanks again!
Randy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

William Young

Randy.
There are many methods of making wood centre bands. Here is the way I do it and it may not be the best but it works quick and easy for me.
I cut a whole bunch of blanks about 1/4" long on the bandsaw . After sanding the one face of the band smooth and then the bottom end of the top blank smooth I glue the sqaure centre band on with CA glue and accelerator. Then I drill the hole for the tube through the top balank and the bottom blank and true it up and put it on the lathe. I use a copper tube that is 1/4" longer than normal for the pen's top blank. These are all white for contrast but I also use very dark contrasting wood for bands when the whole pen is a lighter color.
W.Y.

77150830.jpg

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Here's a great link on our own site. http://www.penturners.org/content/aaw-winter03-36-41pens.pdf

Lou, Thanks for reminding me of this article by Scott. I really enjoyed revisiting it. Almost makes you want to stop turning the big pens, doesn't it.

woodscavenger

I agree this is a great article. I do mine a little different. I drill a 1/4" hole in the wood I will use as the CB. I usually do several different cutoff scraps from old blanks. I don't feel I have a great way to square them so I stack them on the mandrel and then use my skinny parting tool to do it on the lathe. I run the parting tool almost to the mandrel after roughing out the wood. Then I take it of the mandrel and finish trimming the last miniscule fibers with an Xacto knife.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I make wood centerbands that are permanently attached the same way as the plastic ones shown at http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pen51a.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom