Wood Bust Out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dhallnc

Tried another slimline today using wood from a WC grab bag. Not sure what type of wood, but it's seems harder to turn and sand than some of the other.

With a little meat still left to take off, the blank busted off right at the bushing.

Any idea what I did or didn't do?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arioux

Knowing what wood could help, or a photo. If it was during turning, mabe a little too agressive or a dull tool. If it was during sanding, mabe too much heat on a crusscut or x-cut wood.

Could also be glue missing on the tube.

Hard to tell without more detail.

aggromere

Before I improved my drilling I think I would get a non uniform hole and in places where the hole was bigger, the glue didn't take and it would create a small hollow spot near the tube. If I turned to it, the blank would rip off the tube.

dhallnc

I did go a little lighter on the ca on this one, but the tube was tight. I noticed on a previous
pen, that the glue seemed to discolor the wood right at the bushings, so I cut back a little.
Could have been the problem.

Old Lar

If it is worth doing, it probably will not be easy. Just keep practicing. I have turned several hundred pens in the last year since I bought my lathe and learn something new everyday. I commented once that I thought I got these pens down to a science..
WRONG many times since I said that.
Good luck and keep at it!

greggas

Id guess either dull tool, too aggressive a cut, inadequate glue coverage inside the tube or a combination of all three

tim self

In my experience it's the glue up.

If you're not blowing up blanks once in a while, you're not turning enough. And if you're gonna turn, you're gonna do it. Just wait till it's a $15 blank and you're about done with the 2nd barrel. Have a bunch of "caps" without bottoms.

mrcook4570

I did go a little lighter on the ca on this one, but the tube was tight.

Glue inside the hole AND glue all over tube, then insert tube into hole. If you do not apply glue to both areas, you run the risk of having the glue stripped off the tube as you push it into the blank.

Mac

Tried another slimline today using wood from a WC grab bag. Not sure what type of wood, but it's seems harder to turn and sand than some of the other.

With a little meat still left to take off, the blank busted off right at the bushing.

Any idea what I did or didn't do?

Thanks.

Glue might have soaked into the wood when drying and leaving no glue to bond blank with tube. To solve this problem after drilling blank send down some thin CA into blank and get good coverage. let dry. Then see if tube will still fit into blank if not drill out extra CA. Then glue blank and tube.
Do you sand your tubes.

Mac

I did go a little lighter on the ca on this one, but the tube was tight. I noticed on a previous
pen, that the glue seemed to discolor the wood right at the bushings, so I cut back a little.
Could have been the problem.

Just courious what kind of finish and did you apply the this pen ??

ldb2000

This is not to be taken as "mean spirited" in any way , I was there at one time and so were most of us . Your turning technique is probably wrong and that is the biggest problem . You have to learn better control of your tools . The most important technique is to learn to take light CUTS . Your problem is most likely you are addressing the wood with the wrong angle of contact with your tools . A gouge or skew are meant to slice off the surface of the wood or acrylic not to scrape it off . Scraping will tear the fibers of the wood causing tear out and blow outs . A gouge with the sides held straight up (like this "U") or a skew laid flat just scrape the wood off the blank , this will almost always lead to a blow out or a catch and tear out if you are not very careful about how much pressure is being applied .
You need to learn a "Shearing cut" with a gouge or skew , that is to say , you want the tool to contact the wood at an angle (somewhere around 45 degrees) . If you are using a gouge , you want to have the leading edge of the gouge to be lower then the trailing edge and you want the bevel of the gouge to be just about parallel with the wood blank (this is called riding the bevel) . These are difficult techniques to explain but are the fundamental techniques you need to learn .
The leading edge of the gouge is the right top of the "U" shape of the gouge if you are cutting from left to right , imagine the "U" shape of the gouge tilted 45 degrees to the right and the cutting should be done with the bottom of the "U" so that the part of the cutting edge that is contacting the wood is doing so at about the same 45 degree angle . This way the cutting edge will be shearing the wood not scraping it .
Riding the bevel means , the part just below cutting edge (the beveled part) should be almost flat against the blank , then you just lift the handle of the gouge slightly , tilting the cutting edge into the wood ever so slightly so that it starts to take shavings off the blank .
When you get these two angles just right , you will start cutting thin slices off the surface of the blank , if you are doing acrylics (and even some woods) you will be getting very thin ribbons that will shoot off the inside of the gouge . You want these slices or ribbons to be as thin as you can make them .
A poor glue up of the tubes won't help with blow out but I routinely make pens with out tubes and don't get blow outs even on very thin sections of the blanks . It's all a matter of technique , it takes practice but you can do it if you just remember , "Shearing cuts" and "Riding the bevel"
Sharp tools are also important and you should learn to sharpen your tools to make them as sharp as possible to get a good shearing cut . Most carbide cutting tools while very sharp are nothing more then very sharp scrapers and should be avoided until you learn proper tool control .
I hope this helps .

Last edited:

Papo

Had the same problem as you with the ends of the blanks,The brass tubes would show right thru the wood.change to 5 minute epoxy and started to enjoy my turnings instead of trying to make 100 pens per hour.Also got me a caliper to measure the ends not trusting all the bushings which sometimes are smaller.So between taking my time and using 5 minute epoxy I now enjoy the work.Slow down and have fun with it:)

Be Bless

leestoresund

I have also learned (in addition to the other good info above) that you need to sand (or pen mill) the wood right to the end of the tube. If the wood extends a little past the end of the tube and your pressure is a little to great when you get near the right thinness there is not enough wood to support the pressure and it will blow.

Lee

dhallnc

Mac, I hadn't got to the finish. I was still turning down the second barrel.

Butch, I did use the gouge in the u shaped fashion although I do know better.
I did take more aggressive cuts than usual.
I did slack up on the ca while gluing in the tubes.

I have plans to go to a local chapter meeting this Thursday with a member of this forum. I hope this will lead to better understanding of the "how to's"

Thanks you all for the feedback. I will try again today:wink:

Top Bottom