Wood - Bradford Pear

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

I came across some Bradford Pear wood. Tree was cut due to storm damage. Has anyone turned this species of wood? Any recommendations on drying. The limbs are about 8" - 14" in diameter. I cut it in 13-18" lengths, painted the cut ends and placed in my greenhouse to start drying. Now to just wait for a few months. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Makes some caramel looking wood. Really nice. If you can get it to spalt it turns white and marblely.

jdarragh

I have made a couple of pens out of that wood. It is plentiful in my area. It seemed to dry easily and I don't remember much checking. The wood is fairly blond, but makes a nice looking pen. I remember one of the pens having some darker areas that would have been closer to the bark or a knot.

Joe

MarkHix

Sometimes it is bad to crack so you need to seal it good. I like to turn it green and dried. There can be alot of variation in the wood from the same tree. It finishes well.

Brandon25

Hey Ranger. I got a couple logs that were maybe 6" diameter. They were sealed with the pith still in them, and were still pretty green. Unfortunately, the log had a few cracks in the pith. I cut off a piece from the main log to make a bowl, and by the time I was done with the bowl, that VERY NIGHT, the rest of that log that I cut from had a split about 6" deep. The darn thing nearly split right in half.

So, as with all wood, it has a tendency to crack from the middle out. When it happens, it's FAST and major. If you want, cut the log in half almost. Remove a middle "slice" with the pith. This would almost surely increase the likelihood of your wood's survival. Also, waxed wood is better than painted wood. Paint still allows the passage of water, just slower. Wax is a full barrier, and requires the moisture to leave through the long grain evenly. Having said this, I dont have any anchorseal or other wax onhand, so I just painted about 500 pounds of silver maple with KILZ primer.

The log should be cut like this:
logcut.jpg

As far as the wood itself, it is very blonde-yellow. Creamy, almost. The green wood turns like a dream, too. This square edge bowl I made was turned green to final thickness and allowed to dry and warp on purpose to give it a rustic/natural look. You can see the cracks in the pith, and one or two along the rim. This wood warps a LOT when it's this thin, as you can see.

IMG_5174.jpg

IMG_5173.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom