wood blanks from burma (myanmar)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sumterdad

Hello I am not sure this is in the right forum so mods if you need to move it feel free to. I am wanting to make a pen for my pastor who is going to be doing some missionary work in Burma and may end up staying in that region. I thought it would be cool if i could get some wood Blanks from that region. Do any of y'all know if we can get any and if so where. Thanks for all the help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WWAtty

Keep in mind that since the US currently has an embargo against Myanmar on most everything except humanitarian aid, the wood you find will likely have come from a neighboring country, such as Thailand or Malaysia--you did mention wanting it from "the region," so that would still be the case.

Russianwolf

Keep in mind that since the US currently has an embargo against Myanmar on most everything except humanitarian aid, the wood you find will likely have come from a neighboring country, such as Thailand or Malaysia--you did mention wanting it from "the region," so that would still be the case.

Getting something like wood out isn't too difficult. Since its not considered a "key export". The bigger concerns have been jade and ruby.

Many of the sanctions were just reduced also. The main thing the government wants to make sure of now is that specified people and companies affiliated with them don't receive a benefit from the reduced sanctions. We even get a list of people we shouldn't even talk to.

we have a link on our website about some of it. http://usasean.org/Myanmar/clippings/2012/April16.htm

WWAtty

Getting something like wood out isn't too difficult. Since its not considered a "key export". The bigger concerns have been jade and ruby.

Many of the sanctions were just reduced also. The main thing the government wants to make sure of now is that specified people and companies affiliated with them don't receive a benefit from the reduced sanctions. We even get a list of people we shouldn't even talk to.

we have a link on our website about some of it. http://usasean.org/Myanmar/clippings/2012/April16.htm

Thanks for the link. Interesting how the country is building up its infrastructure and letting some western tourists in, albeit a limited number at this time. Let's hope they continue down this path.

Russianwolf

Thanks for the link. Interesting how the country is building up its infrastructure and letting some western tourists in, albeit a limited number at this time. Let's hope they continue down this path.

Not just infrastructure they built a brand new capitol city, Naypyitaw, google it and have a look. Huge Modern City, Nearly empty.

Our staff goes to Yangon pretty regularly now, and more so with the sanctions being eased. All the major companies want to do business there but are moving slow due to the uncertainty. I have one of the few licenses to transmit money into the country in my office.

sumterdad

Not just infrastructure they built a brand new capitol city, Naypyitaw, google it and have a look. Huge Modern City, Nearly empty.

Our staff goes to Yangon pretty regularly now, and more so with the sanctions being eased. All the major companies want to do business there but are moving slow due to the uncertainty. I have one of the few licenses to transmit money into the country in my office.[/QUOTE]
Too bad you don't have a license to transport wood

Top Bottom