Wood Bin Resins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

Just a little note on some new resins I cut from the Wood Bin. At least new to me. I have scene them before, but never bought them until Rich brought it to our attention on his sale. 30 blanks for 50.00 now that's a good deal. But.....I think you get what you pay for.

The brown Statesman Jr. I posted was perfect...I wood have paid 5.00 for that blank.

But there were two others I cut, the green, what i guess I will call fleck. If you look at the photo.

1. see the red dot in the middle of the pen. Well this hole in the resin went all the way thru, could not be turned out, so I filled it. Had I filled in black or green , you probablly would not see it. But remember the Shaefer white dots, I got red dots.

2. Notice how the deep green rapidly fades near the top of the pen. I thought , well I cut it to much, but the bottom is cut to the same diam. and it kept it's color.

The Red statesman is nice, but you really can't see it in the photo, but it has those black swirly lines in it. I resanded and polished this three times, until I thought I was going to polish the red out. But you can feel those swirl lines when you hold it.

Looks like a scrath, but is not, looks smooth , but yet it doesn't feel smooth.

Also, John P had mentioned when he polished his, there was a spot he could not get out. I think it was the blank and not John.

I don't mean to be nit picky, because after all it was only 1.50 a blank. But one expects a man made product to be perfect vs. wood and nature, and RT's grey lines. :D

Just my parting thoughts. Anthony

20041223152937_DSC01031.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

I had the same thing with a couple of tru stone blanks I bought, I think that it's probably air bubbles. It sure does get your goat when you have a nice piece going and it ends up holy.

Wayne

PenWorks

Wayne, did you send them back? I got a batch of tru stone Turq. that they all were real white & chalky, I returned them for a replacement from CS. Anthony

Gary Max

This is not good news for me. Heck the only reason I bought these was to make outstanding pens--if Anthony has this much trouble I will be lost. Also it was going to be my first attempt at Acrylic's---I even talked to the guy up in Canada and told him the only reason I was buying because of his high quality. He sure bragged about them.

PenWorks

Relax Gary, The brown ones alone are worth every penny you spent. But some others, just may present a problem. But at least I warned you. Anthony

Gary Max

Hey did your box of wood show up?????
My outbound mail is at war with my new virus system right now.
I hope they kiss and make up soon.
Ok --so I need to save the brown and start with the Green????

PenWorks

No, start with the WHITE, I almost cut that last night. I think it will look good, make it for your Mrs. for Christmas! I haven't walked to the PO yet. I'll let you know. I hope it doesn't, I really want to read that book. I am afraid if I see how nice your wood is, I'll be back in the shop tonight. Anthony

Gary Max

Anthony I am glad my wife doesn't read all your post.
I want to see a pen out of the brick---LOL
She has already said that she likes the white.
Merry Christmas

wayneis

I think that what Anthony experenced was kind of unusual. I've bought from from them a couple times in that past and I didn't have any problems. I don't know for sure but I think that the hole was probably an air bubble which can happen to any of the acrylics.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom