Wood from apple tree?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airborne_r6

Due to a partially rotted main branch and a bumper crop of apples the majority of the apple tree in our back yard came down over the weekend. Is the wood any good for turning and if so what do I need to do to it to make it usable?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Fruit woods in general are very good for turning and apple is no exception. It is hard with blonde sapwood and cinnamon-colored heartwood - often with nice grain. Cut it into chunks, slabs, or boards; seal the ends with wax if you can; and set the pieces away somewhere they can dry. If you aren't patient enough for natural drying, search for and read up on microwave drying.

Then turn them and have fun!

Regards,
Eric

airborne_r6

Fruit woods in general are very good for turning and apple is no exception. It is hard with blonde sapwood and cinnamon-colored heartwood - often with nice grain. Cut it into chunks, slabs, or boards; seal the ends with wax if you can; and set the pieces away somewhere they can dry. If you aren't patient enough for natural drying, search for and read up on microwave drying.

Then turn them and have fun!

Regards,
Eric

Thanks

workinforwood

Apple is one of my favorites. It is one of the hardest domestic lumbers. It turns awesome, carves perfect and smells the best! It is relatively stable once it is dry, but not as stable as maple or oak. It really likes to warp, twist and crack when drying. You can easily cut a 1" thick board and when it dry's it could twist into a pretzel! I recommend the boards be cut at least 1.25 thick. Sticker them and put lots of cinder blocks on top. Air drying with lots of time is probably the best action to take. Paint the ends, mark the start date and wait a year. After one year, put some 6x6's on the cement floor. Weigh a board and write the weight on that board. Sticker stack the pile on the 6x6's. Place a dehimidifier beside the stack. Wrap the bundle with plastic and tape it around the dehimidifier so the front of the dehumidifier is outside the bundle and run a hose outside to get rid of the water. Wait 2 weeks then re-weigh that board. Put back in for a week and the re-weigh again. Keep doing this until the weight does not change. Patience is a virtue, especially with this lumber.
Typical apple is just as described above, skin tones on the outside, coffee on the inside. Crab apple, which is my preference, is skin tones almost all the way through. I use it alot for carving people. When it oxidizes it really captures the essence of skin. The wood is quite valuable. I just had a crab apple tree sawed up and sticker stacked it yesterday too. Very exciting. My crab apple had a ton of crotches and I had it all slabbed with the bark still on straight through all the crotches, just slab cut that baby and when you get to the heart pieces, cut those out and pitch them..pardon the pun. If you don't cut out the pitch, you'll be sorry. It will crack super bad and the cracks will spread into the good wood.

Top Bottom