Wood allergy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snyiper

I turned a pen this weekend out of African Blackwood and it turned very nice. I was getting ribbons with the skew and carbide tool I also got a nasty rash where some of the ribbons had landed on my arm and hand. has anyone else found this wood to have the same effect?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

African Blackwood is a member of the rosewood family (Dalbergia) and the family in general has a higher tendency to cause reactions.

Since you are showing reactions to it, be careful with anything with Rosewood in the name (Honduras Rosewood, Brazilian rosewood, etc.), Cocobolo, Bois De Rose, Tulipwood, ad naseum.

people tend to report that the reaction will get stronger the more times you are exposed, so long sleeves (tight at the wrists) and a respirator are highly recommended.

phillywood

Glenn, Buddy I am sorry you had reactions to this wood, I just went and checked the Wood chart and the only one reported was Bradh and he said he didn't have any reaction to it and he said that the wood is oily and he had to wipe it before finishing. I think what happened to you is that the oil form the ribbons stayed on your skin long enough for it to show reaction. Try to take soem benadryl for it to see if it calms it down since last time i ended up in ER showing reactions to one of my meds that's all they did. I am hoping that you don't have to see a Dr. for it. You might want to use the cream on your skin also. good luck. Hope you get rid of the rash and the itching soon.

Padre

I am also allergic to the rosewood family. Be careful with it, or as in my case, I don't turn that family of wood anymore.

phillywood

here i found something interesting you may want to read:
A Guide to Occupational Exposure to Wood, Wood Dust and Combustible Dust Hazards:
http://www.nclabor.com/osha/etta/indguide/ig19.pdf

A Guide to Potentially Dangerous Hardwoods:
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=99875127&blogId=153658054

Medical toxicology - Google Books Result
Richard C. Dart - 2004 - Medical - 1914 pages
Wood preservatives may include copper chromated arsenate, potassium dichromate, ethyl triethanolamine, ... Blackwood, African Dalbergia melanoxylon D ...
books.google.com/books?isbn=0781728452...

on this one try just to look at the page it tells you because if youscroll up and down too much then you'll go to different subjects.

Last edited:

dl351

Sounds like an allergic reaction to me. I've noticed that Cocobolo and Blackwood seem to bother my nose more often now. I haven't been turning for very long, and I only turn outdoors. I've worn a "fancy" dust mask, but I know I should at least get a respirator and/or a dust collection system. The last two or three times I turned any cocobolo or blackwood, my nose was killing me for the next two or three days. It felt like a cold combined with allergies, but no cold symptoms ever showed up, and it went away after a few days. I don't plan on giving up on these woods, but a respirator is in the near future for me. Oh, this seems like a developing allergy to me, too.

snyiper

Thanks for all the comments, I did go see Doc and found out it isnt the dust but a contact dermitis type reaction. I didnt seem to be bothered by Cocobolo but the Blackwood whooped me on this one. Doc gave Zantac (has a beta blocker in it) Alledgra d (has another type blocker in it) and Medrol dosepak (Prednisone steriod) Ill bee itch free in a day or so...BTW benadryl spray doesnt do anything but make you sticky!!

Top Bottom