wood from Africa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Munsterlander

I have a friend that wants some pens made using "beautiful wood from Africa" and, if possible, wood that is native to Congo or Uganda in particular (no idea why).

I've suggested African blackwood burl, curly tambooti, olivewood, and pink ivory as candidates, but I've learned the experts are here on this forum. What do you recommend, and in particular any ideas on Congo or Uganda?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mitchm

Mike

Afr Blackwood, Tambotie & Olive Wood are mainly from Southern Africa and Pink Ivory can be found upto Uganda but mainly further South. The following are from the Central African region including the Congo and Uganda: Sapele, Padauk, African Mahogany, Ebony and Afrormosia.

Hope this helps some!

Munsterlander

Thanks Russ & Mike!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but any opinions? My experience with Padauk is cool if you like orange wood, but not particularly pretty (but then I've never had a piece that had any real figuring or curl in it). Sapele - nice (have some with some curl), but not stunning. Never seen Afromosia or African Mohogany.

But thanks again, very helpful even without opinions...

GouletPens

african blackwood is nice....dark just like ebony but more stable. If you can get with with some sapwood it makes a really cool looking pen. Sapele is nice, but not mind-blowing. Bubinga is pretty nice, and you can find it curly which makes it pretty cool.

Munsterlander

OK, now I know why the request was for wood from the Congo or Uganda - it's a gift for a guy who does research on ebola. So I'll be trying to find a couple of highly figured Bubinga or Sapele blanks. I'll check the classifieds, but if somebody has something nice, PM me.

Munsterlander

From WikiAnswers:

The Bubinga tree is native to Africa. Specifically, it is found in Cameroon, Gabon, Ivory Coast, Zaire, Equatorial Guinea, Congo, Liberia and Nigeria.

It does appear Cameroon is the country where it is most plentiful, but based on this and other sources, it does grow in the Congo as well - and I did decide go with Bubinga, if I can find the right blank...

GouletPens

From WikiAnswers:

The Bubinga tree is native to Africa. Specifically, it is found in Cameroon, Gabon, Ivory Coast, Zaire, Equatorial Guinea, Congo, Liberia and Nigeria.

It does appear Cameroon is the country where it is most plentiful, but based on this and other sources, it does grow in the Congo as well - and I did decide go with Bubinga, if I can find the right blank...
If you check Arizona Silhouette, they have some nice pomelle bubinga that is stabilized and looks mind-blowing. Here's one I made out of that wood.

Attachments

• 1SigPB01.jpg
    1SigPB01.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 1SigPB02.jpg
    1SigPB02.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 106

Munsterlander

Dang, Brian - somehow I missed your last post until now - that blank from AZ is really nice, great job on that pen. I did get some figure bubinga with some curl - haven't applied finish yet so of course don't know exactly how dramatic it will be - but if not so much, I'll definitely take a look at with Bill's got. Thanks!

GouletPens

Dang, Brian - somehow I missed your last post until now - that blank from AZ is really nice, great job on that pen. I did get some figure bubinga with some curl - haven't applied finish yet so of course don't know exactly how dramatic it will be - but if not so much, I'll definitely take a look at with Bill's got. Thanks!
Bubinga is one of those woods like kauri or koa that doesn't really look very impressive until you put the finish on it, then suddenly, it's WOW!

Top Bottom