wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TerryDowning

currently?? randomly strewn about my shop. It really is such a mess!!

Most of my cut blanks are in a box in a drawer (most, some are on a shelf above my bench, some are on my miter saw bench...you get the idea.)

One of these days....

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have a 4x10 lumber rack for the long stuff, 2ft deep cubby hole box for the up to 30 inch stuff. I have it in bins, on shelves, and in tubs and priority mail boxes, plus some laying around on my desk. Why do you ask?

76winger

My pen blanks are laid out in the open on a couple of cookie sheets. I stack them up when I'm not making pens and spread them out when I'm looking for just the right blank to use on a set of components I've got in hand.

Xander

I keep mine at the store until I'm ready to turn. The 1 or 2 I have for unmade component sets are in a small plastic drawer storage thingie I got from WallyWorld.

Jarod888

I keep a bunch of the more unique ones that I have in a tackle box I picked up at Walmart. I like it because it has a clear top and a decent amount of storage. I am making pens for people close to me, so the portability of the case makes it easy to take along so the people can choose a blank that they like.

KBs Pensnmore

I keep my large pieces up to 12" in a bookcase type shelving, my small blanks (pen size), I keep in plastic tubs 12"x8"x 3" and marked with the type of timber. I have about 100 different species of timber on hand, some only 3 or 4 pces.
Kryn

Last edited:

Flaturner

Glad

I went to the Dollar Store, Dollar Tree, Big Lots, etc. and picked up GladWare, Rubbermaid, etc. food storage containers on the cheap in a couple of sizes. The Rubbermaid 4 cup and 10 cup sizes work best for me. They are both about 5 1/2 inches wide and 8 1/2 inches long. The 4 cup are about 1 3/4 inches deep and the 10 cup about 3 1/2 inches deep. I keep the cut wood blanks in the 10 cup size and parts and kits in the 4 cup ones. They stack well even with different brands and keep the shop organized and neat. The square sandwich size and the taller size would also work. Pressure sensitive labels stick well and can be removed cleanly when things change. I plan to use a Dymo Labelmaker eventually (when I can afford one). The containers are usually about half the price at the dollar places than at the regular outlets because they change packaging or style slightly and sell them off to the discount places.

I ordered 4 of the 20 plastic storage bins from Harbor Freight and built a cabinet with 40 bins on one side to hold blanks and 40 bins on the other to hold pen kits plus the bottom of each side can hold larger pieces of wood of what ever. I mounted the cabinet on a moving dolly I had to be able to roll it around and to spin the cabinet to access the sides easily. Each of the bins will hold 9-12 blanks and 10-15 pen kits.

Last edited:

BassBlaster

Up untill yesterday, mine were in random boxes all about the shop. yesterday, I decided I wanted to be a bit more organized so I went to WalMart and got a whole bunch of 6 quart plastis shoe boxes with lids. These are only $.96 each and will hold 60 to 70 pen blanks. I got one for every species that I have and labeled every box. They stack real nice too!!

Rick_G

My pen blanks I keep in a small kitchen type cupboard that walmart had on sale for $25 a couple years ago. I hung it on a wall and it works fine for that. My real wood I keep in a 12 ft. long lumber rack on an outside wall of the shop.

Richard Earl

It depends on how many blanks I have of any given wood. I have a lot of chokecherry burl and I keep those in USPS large priority boxes on a bookshelf. However, most of my blanks I keep in clear plastic boxes in an old file cabinet. The boxes stack two high and three deep. I also have some very large cardboard shoe boxes where I keep koa and some of my better woods. I have a small plastic box in the file cabinet for the small supply of acrylics I keep around. The clear plastic boxes are useful in helping me find the wood I am searching for. The cardboard boxes have the name of the wood written on them.

PenPal

Luke,

I have over a thousand cut blanks in my lounge room in shelving untold numbers in my extended workshop in various shelving, timber in several sheds and a shipping container and just do the best I can to restrain myself oh oh just bought and received 6 1/2lb of rare aussie timber blanks.

So you can guess the best way is the one that suits you, cheap is not always the best way to keep anything look for suitable first.

All the best in your obsession mine has me in its grasp.

Kind regards Peter.

SDB777

Stacked high everywhere....really! I'm not kidding...with thousands of blanks stacked here and there, it actually looks pretty bad, but I know where each one is.

And when folks come by, they know to bring a big box....cause I like to hand them out!

Scott (an empty truck bed is a good idea too) B

Top Bottom