Wood for a 1st timer???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

I hope I do not become bothersome with all the newbie questions but I just want to do things as best I can right from the beginning. I have fouind it makes undertakings more enjoyable if they are going well.

Any way, for a first timer/beginner, what wood(s) do you all reccomend? I really, really like some of the exoctics I have seen but I sure don't want to ruin them because I don't have any turning experience.

Thanks!

Greg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arjudy

I would suggest that you first turn some of the hardwoods like walnut, maple or cherry to learn the techniques. If you know any woodworkers ask them for some scraps to practice on. Once you develop your skills then you can start using exotics and even types of horn (antler etc.) Enjoy yourself. Don't worry about asking to many questions. Remember the only silly questions are the ones that never get asked. Everyone on this site started where you are now.

Remember, it's only wood. If you ruin it a piece, use another piece of wood. There is always more around

A boring piece of wood will look boring as a pen, no matter how great your turning skills.

My best advice for a beginner is, find a turner near you who is willing to give you lesson or two

JimGo

My suggestions are Cocobolo and walnut. Cocobolo is pretty hard, but is harder to shatter (but not impossible...DAMHIKT) than most woods. Walnut is a little more brittle, but turns like butter.

cozee

Thanks everyone. It is not that I am afraid of wasting a piece of wood it is just that I don't want to if I can avoid it, even as small as it may be. I have drug pallets home from work for years just to reuse the 1x's they come with!! And a farmer friend gets the scraps for the wood burner in his shop. Grandma always said, "Waste not, want not!"

( And no I don't save the nails. A straightened nail bends easier and faster the second time. At least that is what my thumbs tell me!!!)[:eek:)]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by cozee
<br />Thanks everyone. It is not that I am afraid of wasting a piece of wood it is just that I don't want to if I can avoid it, even as small as it may be. I have drug pallets home from work for years just to reuse the 1x's they come with!! And a farmer friend gets the scraps for the wood burner in his shop. Grandma always said, "Waste not, want not!"

( And no I don't save the nails. A straightened nail bends easier and faster the second time. At least that is what my thumbs tell me!!!)[:eek:)]

You by any chance related to Rifleman in Arkansas... [}:)][:p][}:)]
Sorry Frank, I could not resist it...
Greg.. I am not picking on you... but after you have been here a while you will understand the joke better

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"You by any chance related to Rifleman in Arkansas... "

Actually, this is more of a compliment.

Just wanted to chime in on cocobolo. I started turning pens, using cocobolo. Had a great first year!!! Now, I am allergic to it-I'm told the dust has a cumulative effect on most people, so it's just a matter of time.
Because this wood is so pretty and easy to turn, certainly use it and enjoy!! Just wear some kind of dust protection-I still turn it, but only while wearing a respirator. Try to avoid this!
[:)][:)]

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
<br />I hope I do not become bothersome with all the newbie questions but I just want to do things as best I can right from the beginning. I have fouind it makes undertakings more enjoyable if they are going well.

Any way, for a first timer/beginner, what wood(s) do you all reccomend? I really, really like some of the exoctics I have seen but I sure don't want to ruin them because I don't have any turning experience.

Thanks!

Greg
Greg, as others have said, Cocobolo turns very nicely. I have a large quantity of some not-so-nice Cocobolo and I'd like to send some your way for practice. It's decent, but not museum quality! Send me your mailing address by email and I'll get a box on the way to you. (You have to promise to get rid of it if you turn out to be allergic to it [:)])

Thanks for joining our site and welcome aboard!

Rifleman1776

Girz said, "You by any chance related to Rifleman in Arkansas...
Sorry Frank, I could not resist it... "
Gee,is that a reference to my love of wood as opposed to....well, you know...that 'other' stuff? Or my dedication to economy? [:p]

Rifleman1776

Seriously, Greg, that is a good question. My reccomendation wood [;)] be to use local stuff. In Illinois, you have fruit trees like apple and cherry and most of the other popular woods. Do spindle turning to get a feel for your lathe and tools. Then begin projects. I hadn't even seen a lathe since I was a child. My first turning project was a mallet from osage orange picked up off the ground. I learned a bunch from that. OO is hard. Even wood like OO laying on the ground for years, as this was, isn't dry. My mallet and handle split by morning after I turned. I still use it in the shop but it is pure ugly. Turn whatever you can get your hands on. Then move up to projects that you want with bought woods.

cozee

You by any chance related to Rifleman in Arkansas...

Joking aside, it could be possible, by marriage. My wife has family in NW Arkansas!!

Greg, as others have said, Cocobolo turns very nicely. I have a large quantity of some not-so-nice Cocobolo and I'd like to send some your way for practice. It's decent, but not museum quality! Send me your mailing address by email and I'll get a box on the way to you. (You have to promise to get rid of it if you turn out to be allergic to it )

Thanks Jeff! By the pictures I have seen of Cocobolo I can tell that I am not allergic in anyway of any Cocobolo!!! Email will be on the way shortly.
[:D]

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Remember, it's only wood. If you ruin it a piece, use another piece of wood. There is always more around

<b><u>A boring piece of wood will look boring as a pen, no matter how great your turning skills.</u></b>

My best advice for a beginner is, find a turner near you who is willing to give you lesson or two

I guess we don't want him laminating yet[:D]

Thanks Jeff! By the pictures I have seen of Cocobolo I can tell that I am not allergic in anyway of any Cocobolo!!!

When it come to Cocobolo there are two kinds of people
The ones who are allergic...
And the others who will be.

So the best thing to do is turn as much of the stuff as you can before you become allergic[:D]

Mike's first two pens were Walnut-- compared to what he does now, they DON"T compare!!! And it makes a nice, dark wood pen that people have picked up at the shows (well, after the spalted jobs!!). Mine, was a pieceof Bethlehem Olive Wood that turned out to be a burl LOL Mike was jealous, but it was all he had ready at the time when I "demanded' equal time at the lathe!!!

Now, do what the other good men have told you and get a GOOD dust collector........ I'm still working on Mike to get one!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom