Wish Me Luck...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipusnr

with actually getting any pens from this stuff! I mentioned it a reply to "slow down" that I have spent quite a bit of time in the shop (off the lathe) cleaning up some wood left around and playing with the scraps. Here's what has evolved.

20052712322_Custom%20Blanks%201.jpg

These should work out alright. Just a matter of getting centered holes parallel to the main glue joint.

200527123714_Custom%20Blanks%202.jpg

These might be a little harder with the number of titebond glue joints involved.

200527123926_Custom%20Blanks%203.jpg

These need one more rip cut as along the central glue joint (to make them square to the width) before they are ready for use. With the number of titebond glue joints in here I fully expect to explode a couple.

But...hey...it's all for fun!!![8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Tip, I am sure you will get some very nice and interesting pens out of these blanks, they look great! Drill and turn carefully, that is all!

G

Knock off the corners with the bandsaw or sander prior to roughing.
Stabilize with thin ca.
The yellow glue is hard and will not turn as easily as the wood,
same with sanding.
You'll be o.k.
On the first ones you will need some filling as you go.
The voids will tend to"catch"
DAMHIKT
Just had a thought on the first two.
Try to cut again on the bandsaw right on the glues line.The result will be 2 exact mating pieces,reglue.
I've used that trick to joint 2 borad using a router before I got a jointer.
Just a suggestion

PenWorks

Good luck Tip, nice lams. I wonder if you send the secound & third group off to be stabilized. That would seem to fill any voids, increase your chances and provide a better finish.
A buck a blank at River Ridge.

Anthony

tipusnr

Thanks for the comments and advice. Will probably augment the titebond with CA (with or without sawdust or powder fillers) as I turn the blanks. The voids in the first two blanks shouldn't go all the way through. The blade on my scroll saw flexed in the wood as I was cutting the two blanks stacked together. The wood is salvaged from a cherry and a maple sample cabinet door my falther-in-law got from a cabinet shop that went out of business.

Anthony..if I ever get my vacuum chamber put together I may stabilize things like this but, at this point, I can't see paying a dollar a blank (plus shipping) to salvage scrapwood! I appreciate the suggestion and the endorsement of a good vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom