Wiping off fingerprints?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

law_kid

This is my first post, so apologize both if it is in the wrong place and if it is overly-simplistic, but:

What sort of cloth should one use to wipe fingerprints and smudges off of already-completed pens on display, for instance, at an art fair or other exhibition? Is microfiber a good choice, or is there a risk that the "micro fibers" will scratch the finish? Should I Just stick with cotton?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I use a 100% cotton t-shirt (2 x 4 inch pieces). If I think I need moisture, I mist the with some water, then follow with a dry cotton. If the prints are very stubborn, I use this 3-part stuff that I bought from eBay that is supposed to be from Germany. This ostensibly German-stuff comes with a microfiber cloth. All of my pens are lightly coated/finished with Rejex synthetic wax, so usually fingerprints need little effort to get them off. There has to be another two dozen ways to do this...this just happens to be what I do. Whether I am selling or just storing them for sale, I immediately wipe the pen down after anyone (including me) touches it.

Pens By Scott

well, usually I plan ahead, wear gloves... oh, pens, on display... not to cover your trail at the scene of a crime...

Usually good clean cotton cloth... tried renaissance wax too... but the cloth seems to cover it...

jttheclockman

Welcome to the site Jim. Stop by the introduction forum and tell us a little about yourself.

Nice cotton cloth. I go to Wally world and I buy men's hankerchiefs in a pack of 14 (I think that is what is in there) I use those for many things and one is wiping pens down and I do use the Renaissance wax. It works well. Microfiber cloths get hung up on a kit that has a lot of jewelry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom