Wilton 99177 Mini Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradford

I am new to pen turning and want to get a good mini lathe without spending alot. Does any one have any experience with the Wilton 99177 Mini Lathe? Or does anyone have another recomendation.

Thanks,
Brad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

Brad, I don't know anything about the Wilton, but you can't go wrong with the Jet Mini...that's what I have.

Randy

Brad
I know that the price is great for the Wilton 99177. I saw it at the Woodworkers Show and the quality just does not compare to the Jet. It has a look and dimensions that are similiar but that is where it stops. The casting quality is better on the Jet. There are hand wheels instead of knobs. Matter of fact the belt tensioning lever does not exist on the Wilton you have to loosen three Allen head cap screws to change speeds. The covers over the belt access are plastic instead of metal like the Jet. I would suggest that you go and demo a Jet at one of the wood working store. Then you can see for yourself what a fine quality piece of equipment the Jet midi actually is.
Of course this is just my biased opinion [:D].

Fred in NC

Of course, it has variable speed, so belt changes will be infrequent.

You get what you pay for. AT $100 including shipping from Amazon it is not a bad deal, if you will be turning pens and other small items. It is much better than the pen lathe anyway.

I am very happy with my Jet Mini.

jkirkb94

Originally posted by jkirkb94
<br />My local Woodcraft had a small supply of these for sale. Looked it over and decided I didn't need it. I guess it would be a good lathe to use. I really like my Jet Mini as it is made to higher quality but it is also more than twice as much. The Wilton could be a good lathe to try and a good value. Sell a few pens then buy a Jet Mini if you think you need it and save the Wilton for secondary lathe. I can't act snobbish since many of my tools come from Harbor Freight![:D] If you do decide to get the Wilton, use it for a while then give us a review! Kirk[8D]
As a postscript I think the one that my local Woodcraft sold was a Fox brand but I would swear it looked identical to the Wilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom