Will this work for me?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

coach

I have a Jet Mini non vs. Will this chuck work for my lathe? If so, can I hold small bowls or even make seam rippers with this? It says it fits a lathe with a headstock that is 3/4 X 16TPI. I couldn't find those #s for my lathe. Thanks!

200546141641_chuck.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

coach

Thanks Griz. They had a good deal on them on that going out of business sale. I want to get a chuck so I can do some small bowls and make a seam ripper for my pitcher's mom. Just don't want to spend a fortune right this moment. Do you have any other suggestions?

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Take a look at the new chuck that Grizzly has.. it has been getting pretty good reviews and supposedly takes the VicMarc jaw as well.. I use a Nova and love mine...

dougle40

Coach,
If you have any friends that are machinists you could have them make you an adaptor from 1"x8 to 3/4"x16 . I don't know if your screen name has anything to do with being a school coach but if so maybe you could get the machine shop teacher to have one made for you .
Just a thought .

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
You can also buy that adapter in most woodturning suppliers.. but I don't recommend them as they put the chuck that much further away from the headstock and on something the size of a Mini could cause excessive wear on the bearings...

lkorn

You can get a Jacobs Chuck that will work for your seam ripprs for about $30.00 from Woodcraft. Bowls are another issue, they can be made between centers, but you need to create some Jam chucks for finishing.

Thumbs

Coach, I was gonna tell ya about Woodturns Store; but I guess you already found it!

PSI has one of those adaptors available - Part #LA1834..... for 1x8 H/S to 3/4x 16 Chuck..... Was $16.95!

I don't know about multiple couplings at the headstock vs. safety or vibration...... Your choice! Anybody with experience using these things?

wayneis

Coach check out PSI's new chuck, it is priced at $79.95 and comes with three sets of jaws and you can buy a flat jaw to go with it. It's not top of the line but it will work. I have one of their Utility chucks that I bought several months ago and its worked fine. I still use it once in a while instead of my good Axeminster and have no problems with it.

Wayne

JimGo

Coach, you can also check out Harbor Freight, especially the store (if there's one close to you). They have a Jacobs chuck for $16. PSI also has a "micro chuck" for $40 or so that I'm using on a small bowl with mixed success (most likely because of the shape of my tennons), and that site that's going out of business has an "expanding collet chuck" that will also work on the bottom of a small bowl (but won't help with the seam ripper).

lkorn

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Coach check out PSI's new chuck, it is priced at $79.95
Wayne

I bought one of these and promptly sent it back! It was so totally out of round it wanted to turn my Powermatic on its head. The vibration was horrific. Maybe another one will work better. Good luck! The upside is they will take it back withut a fight.

Rifleman1776

If that is the PSI CMG3 you are talking about, I have one and it is a good chuck. But, now that is a 'BUT', emphasized. Mine is the fifth PSI sent me. The previous four were defective. Two were non-concentric and two were rusty with rust preservative coating over the rust. PSI was good about the exchanges, at their expense. But the ordeal took a couple months before I got a keeper. The chuck design is good but there are obvious quality control problems at the Chinese factory. If you do order one, don't be in a hurry. Check it out thouroughly, keep receipts, and all that good stuff. Don't hesitate to call PSI tech support if all is not 100%.

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Coach, you can also check out Harbor Freight, especially the store (if there's one close to you). They have a Jacobs chuck for $16. PSI also has a "micro chuck" for $40 or so that I'm using on a small bowl with mixed success (most likely because of the shape of my tennons), and that site that's going out of business has an "expanding collet chuck" that will also work on the bottom of a small bowl (but won't help with the seam ripper).

woodscavenger

Check E-bay for lathe chucks. I found a 1"x8TPI for about $40. It came with the standard dovetail, non-serrated jaws and a screw chuck insert. It works very well. I made a set of jumbo jaws for them. I think there is an article at Woodcentral on how to do this. I recently bought the PSI chuck with the three jaw options. It it great. I use the smaller jaws to do my custom ends and small decorative rings you can see in my album. I am doing some pot-pourri pots right now from 8/4 mahogany and it works very well. Sell a couple of pens and buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom