Will Woodcraft Euro Bushings Fit PSI Designer Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

After nearly a 2-year hiatus I'm getting back into pen turning. I am getting my turning supplies out of storage and this week discovered that the top came off the divided box I had my bushings in, they were all higgledy-piggledy at the bottom of the box they were packed in. I'm at least missing one of the bushings to my Euro set.

PSI/Woodturningz now sells a kit they call the Designer instead of the Euro. I need (well really want) the bushings this week. I can go to Woodcraft tomorrow, but will the Woodcraft Euro bushings work with the Designer series kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

I measured the set of each that I have.

For PSI's No-tenon designer:

Finial: 0.405"
Upper Center: 0.520"
Lower Center: 0.416"
Nib: 0.356"

For Woodcraft's Euro (Berea) that requires a tenon:

Finial: 0.404"
Upper Center: 0.510"
Lower Center: 0.423"
Nib: 0.359"

My experience with the Woodcraft Euro is that the diameter of the lower center barrel needs to be closer to 0.415-ish to fit the recess of the center band and twist a little easier.

hilltopper46

I used to make this pen sourced from CSUSA, and found that the diameter of the parts varied between plating choices. I used the Penn State deluxe bushing set for all of them, but used my digital calipers to determine the final diameter.

crokett

I called Woodturningz this morning. I posted this last night because of a) impatience and b) needing to plan my day assuming a trip to woodcraft. The guy I talked to says he has turned several of the Designer sets with the older bushing set, so Im going to go with that. I'll start the turnings tonight and when the kits get here I'll do the final sizing.

Top Bottom