Will these work for painting tubes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

I need to paint the insides of some PR blanks. I have household latex paints in about a dozen colors and I have a couple small cans of Farm Equipment Enamel also. Would either of these work okay do you think?

If not I'll have to go out and buy more paint.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Originally posted by Russianwolf

I need to paint the insides of some PR blanks. I have household latex paints in about a dozen colors and I have a couple small cans of Farm Equipment Enamel also. Would either of these work okay do you think?

If not I'll have to go out and buy more paint.

I had difficulty putting the tubes into the drilled holes when I used enamels. The paint dries too thick for the brass tubes to go in, but the tubes could be drilled slightly larger. I tend to drill my tubes on the snug side.

Go to the local hardware store and buy spray paint. Put the nozzle to the hole and "pssst" from both ends. Wear a latex glove on the hand holding the blank and do this over a piece of newspaper.

Hope this helps.

DozerMite

Banned
The enamel should work but, I think you might have a problem with latex. Latex is water based.

thewishman

I have used latex house paint and primer, spray enamel, nail polish, crafting paint, it all works. As Randy said above - drill a slightly bigger hole for thicker paints(I use the nest bit larger in my big HF bit set.) If your drilled hole is too large, add another coat of paint.

Chris

redfishsc

I use cans of rustoleum, and lately I've almost exclusively used silver metallic.

I've read of guys having high failure rates with silver metallic R-O, the glue seems to melt it too quick----- but only my first one failed-- since then I let the R-O cure out for a few days before gluing. Lots of other stuff to work on in the process. Since then, absolutely all glue in just fine.

Top Bottom