Will hot glue damage surface

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

siric

Hi,

I am displaying a pen in a competition and would like to secure it to a wooden offcut. Do you think that if I use hot glue that it may damage the surface of the pen (finished in CA).

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eranox

I've never hot glued a pen to anything before, but I wouldn't think that a little dab would hurt the CA. Just to be safe though, I think I'd turn a scrap round, throw some CA on it, and try it out before I risked a competition-worthy pen (not that I have any of those! :tongue:).

bobleibo

Use a small dab of silicon instead. No heat and it is easily removable afterwards. The amount that fits on the end of a toothpick is enough.

monophoto

I think I would stay away from hot glue for this application.

Craft stores often sell something that I think is called 'Blue Tak' - a plasticine-like putty that was targeted for college students who lived in dormitories where using tacks or other kinds of hangers to hang posters was not allowed. Blue-Tak can be kneaded to form a sticky adhesive-like material that could be used to hang things on the walls that could later be removed without any harm to the walls.

A small dab of Blue-Tak would hold items in place in a display without causing any harm to the items, and unlike silicone, it doesn't require any drying time - it sticks immediately.

siric

Thanks for the tips. I ended up by fastening with nylon wrapped around the joint between the top and bottom and fastening through a hole in the cutoff.

Top Bottom