Will "A" and "B" both fit in Beall 1/4" Collet??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

I am not certain of the diameters of the A and B mandrels so I am assuming that the A is 1/4 inch. the B is larger but I cannot recall what size it is. I did not think it was metric though. I don't think the 1/4 inch collet will hold it though. I use a P.S.I mandrel and hold it with a 1/4 inch collet, the fit is already pretty tight.

Robert Taylor

the ends of both the "A" and "B" mandrels that i have are 1/4" diameter and fit in the same 1/4" collet. people get confused between mandrel size and the od of the tube. the 7mm slimline tubes are 1/4" id and 7mm od. most all new bushings are 1/4" id and fit what seems to be the standard for mandrels nowadays. the "B" mandrel seems to have gone by the wayside.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'm sorry, but that is not accurate. The "A" mandrel will fit in a 1/4" collet, but the "B" mandrel has a larger diameter and requires a 5/16" collet. The "B" mandrel is very much alive for the Perfect Fit, El Grande and other kits.

the ends of both the "A" and "B" mandrels that i have are 1/4" diameter and fit in the same 1/4" collet. people get confused between mandrel size and the od of the tube. the 7mm slimline tubes are 1/4" id and 7mm od. most all new bushings are 1/4" id and fit what seems to be the standard for mandrels nowadays. the "B" mandrel seems to have gone by the wayside.

Robert Taylor

your mileage may vary

not to start a fight here, i'm going to cancel my previous opinion. opinion's are just that. however i'm also including a photo of my A (upper) and B (lower)mandrels. they both measure 1/4" on the left end in the picture. the el grande and perfect fit pens that i have bought at woodcraft bushings fit on my A mandrel. i only have one set of bushings left for my B mandrel therefore it does not get any use as i don't even remember what kit they are for. i honestly feel there is no longer a "correct" answer to the authors question, however my A and B mandrel will fit in my PSI 1/4" collet. nuff said.

Attachments

• IMG_7340 (Small).JPG
    IMG_7340 (Small).JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

KenV

The "A" mandrel is the same size as a "D" sized drill rod -- about .244 to .246 depending on the supplier. Want to make your own - get O1 drill rod in the "D" size. These are commonly threaded 1/4 by 28 on the tailstock end with a 60 degree center in the end. Depending on the hardware on the headstock, they may or may not need to be threaded. Collet chucks can be ER or Morse Taper based pen mandrel or there are standard MT collets that are closed with a draw bolt.

The "B" mandrel is "M" drill size and will fit in either a 5/16 or 8 mm ER or other collet or the "B" sized adjustable pen mandrel -- "M" sized drill rod makes them. I thread them 8mm by 1 because I have that die and it works. Many of the commercial ones have been turned down to 1/4 in and threaded with the 1/4 by 28 threads.

I get drill rod from MSC or similar places -- shipping costs more than the rod for 3 foot lengths. This is a good way to get/make short mandrels for turning one barrel at a time. (works for those who do not want to invest $$$ for a bunch of fittings to turn w/o mandrels).

So 2 sizes -- M and D with two different collets needed for the two sizes. Option to make your own, but O1 rod is bright instead of black.

Randy_

For a change, this appears to be a case where everyone is correct.:biggrin: The answer that covers most situations is that an "A" mandrel requires a 1/4" collet and a "B" mandrel requires a 5/16" collet or the metric equivalents.

It appears that Bob is using the Berea High Precision Drill Driver System and I am guessing the ends of both the "A" & "B" mandrels are milled to 1/4" to fit into the HP arbor.... sort of analogous to threaded mandrels where both the "A" & "B" mandrels are threaded to the same 1/4" x 28 so they will fit the same arbor. (Woodcraft mandrels, excepted, as they are threaded differently......10x32 IIRC)

hilltopper46

It appears that Bob is using the Berea High Precision Drill Driver System and I am guessing the ends of both the "A" & "B" mandrels are milled to 1/4" to fit into the HP arbor.... sort of analogous to threaded mandrels where both the "A" & "B" mandrels are threaded to the same 1/4" x 28 so they will fit the same arbor. (Woodcraft mandrels, excepted, as they are threaded differently......10x32 IIRC)

I use the Berea high precision mandrels and they are not both turned to 1/4 inch or slightly under. The "A" mandrel is ~0.246 (letter-D) and the"B" mandrel is letter L and is driven with a 5/16 MT2 collet. The "B" mandrel is less than a year old.

They do both use 1/4 UNC threads on the other end.

Robert Taylor

both of mine came in a batch of stuff that i bought on ebay. (skystone) iirc. they would be about 12years old from when he lived in california. some bushings and spacers were included. the bushings are for a pen/pencil combo pen from csusa. also have about 10 of those kits as i have yet to turn one. the erasers have yellowed and are hard and i can not find replacements, everything is too large or too small.another odd thing about these mandrels is they both have 1/4"-20 threads so i can't use the knurled brass nuts.

hilltopper46

another odd thing about these mandrels is they both have 1/4"-20 threads so i can't use the knurled brass nuts.

YES! I would like to find knurled brass nuts or something to fit these. I think someone on IAP sold plastic adapters that these nuts would fit into a couple years ago but I haven't seen them now for quite some time.

Ligget

I have a Beal collet chuck with the 5 collets (bought as a set), the A mandrel fits great but the B mandrel is either too large or too small for the collets in the set, not best pleased as I thought they would!

Last edited:

Randy_

YES! I would like to find knurled brass nuts or something to fit these. I think someone on IAP sold plastic adapters that these nuts would fit into a couple years ago but I haven't seen them now for quite some time.

How many do you need, Tony??

There are a number of commercial products that could be easily modified to suit your needs, I think; but buying one 99¢ item and then having to pay $6.95 for shipping doesn't make much sense.

If you only need one or two, you should consider making up something of your own? I can give you an idea or two. Do you have a set of Forstner drill bits??

P.S. UI see your bio says you have an interest in metal work. Do you have a metal lathe??

Last edited:
Top Bottom