Wife is jinx'd!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

So my wife had the big lathe motor totally die on her. It's the lathe she likes to use while I use the Jet 1014. Before that I forget what else happened to her too. Then she was using the bandsaw and the blade popped off but didn't break. Then she decided to use my Jet Lathe yesterday and was trying to remove my mandrel saver from the tail stock. Well the metal piece the mandrel rod slides into popped out and the little rubber gasket broke. I have no idea on the size needed to replace it. Her's uses MT#1 so can't take hers and use it lol. She felt bad but I tried helping and that is when the thing popped out.

Since I am back to using my live center should I invest in the 60 degree live center? I am sure most will say yes. I assume it is bigger on the point than the supplied one that came with my Jet. They are only $19.99 at WC so I thought I would get input from here. Thanks again everyone!

I have had good results with my mandrel saver personally.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

I've gone to turning each piece seperately between centers with no mandrel. But if you need to use a mandrel, I'd go with the 60 degree live center.

mtgrizzly52

*LOL* Are you secretly my wife's second husband? *LOL* Anything, and I mean anything electrical or mechanical she touches ends up broke. So I won't let her use my tools (I bought her a set of her own), my tractor, lawnmower, or anything! I read your post to her, and she failed to see any humor at all in it. I on the other hand, laughed my rear off, or course I wasn't laughing at you, I was laughing with you! *LOL*

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

ToddMR

*LOL* Are you secretly my wife's second husband? *LOL* Anything, and I mean anything electrical or mechanical she touches ends up broke. So I won't let her use my tools (I bought her a set of her own), my tractor, lawnmower, or anything! I read your post to her, and she failed to see any humor at all in it. I on the other hand, laughed my rear off, or course I wasn't laughing at you, I was laughing with you! *LOL*

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

Too funny! Well that is why she has been using the big lathe because she pretty much had me just using the Jet which was ok by be. We even had two sets of lathe tools from my grandfather so she had her own set too. Yeah they never seem to find the humor in things we do hehe.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Rick (mtgrizzly52)
Listen...I try to keep my wife from even walking past my tools. If there is a way to break some tool she'll find it. She is also completely incapable of using a tool for what it was designed for...i.e. if she needs a flat screwdriver she be using a Phillips head. If she is driving a nail she'll be using the side of a pair of pliers, etc.

bitshird

Even turning between centers you need a 60 degree live center, so I would say yes you should get one, then you won't need to worry about the mandrelsaver since the 60 degree point fits the mandrel perfectly and also fits Johnny's and everyone else between centers bushings. there have been several threads about the rubber O ring self destructing in the mandrel saver, so perhaps it wasn't totally your wife's fault.(although they can destroy an amazing amount of equipment and tools).

ToddMR

I stopped this morning on my way to work at WC and bought the WoodRiver 60 degree live center. They had just one MT#2 left when I called so I had them hold it for me to be safe. That thing is much bigger than I was expecting with a nice weight to it. Don't get me wrong, my wife is handy when it comes to nails, screws, etc. I think she just has bad timing.....yeah that's it.....bad timing lol.

DurocShark

I have that same live center. A tip: Using your pin pliers unscrew the backing from the point, put some loctite in there, screw it back in. It's very lubricated, and if you get any vibration going (like from turning a square blank round) it'll unscrew itself.

ToddMR

I have that same live center. A tip: Using your pin pliers unscrew the backing from the point, put some loctite in there, screw it back in. It's very lubricated, and if you get any vibration going (like from turning a square blank round) it'll unscrew itself.

Well I had to look up what pin pliers are. I do not have any atm. Will have to add to my list along with loctite as well. Thanks for the tip! That would have had me wondering what was up.

DurocShark

Needlenose pliers can work in a pinch. I didn't have any pin pliers the first time the thing unscrewed either.

LarryDNJR

My Dad has pin pliers.. better to use those than needlenose. Better control and less chance of the snap ring flying away from you.

DurocShark

There's no snap ring. Just two holes in the threaded portion. But I agree, the pliers are a poor substitute. But they will work in a pinch.

ToddMR

My Dad has pin pliers.. better to use those than needlenose. Better control and less chance of the snap ring flying away from you.

Yeah I might just have to do that Larry.

Don, I am not seeing the part you were referring to as of yet.

DurocShark

Behind the cone you will see too holes on either side of the shaft. That's it.

If you can't find it, it'll show itself all on its own at some point. :wink:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Pin pliers

Well I had to look up what pin pliers are. I do not have any atm. Will have to add to my list along with loctite as well. Thanks for the tip! That would have had me wondering what was up.
Well I guessed at what they are and I guessed wrong, I thought they were probably c-ring pliers going under another name.

DurocShark

C-ring pliers will work if you have 'em. They're not as substantial as true pin pliers, but should work fine for this use.

Top Bottom