wide nib-gentlemen's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am confident I have seen the wide nib for the gentlemen's (statesman) pen. Unfortunately, I can't find it now (spent the last hour trying).

Can anyone tell me where to look?????

Thanks,

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

Ask Anthony, he's the resident nib-xpert. Otherwise call CSUSA and ask them. I think sometimes they have nibs they don't put on their catalog site.

Randy_

Originally posted by ed4copies<br />...I am confident I have seen the wide nib for the gentlemen's (statesman) pen...

CSUSA sells replacement nibs for their fountain pens; but the note in the catalog says they will not fit the Havana or Gentlemen's pens. I believe Anthony's gold nibs are mediums; but am not sure.....check with him. You could buy one of the CSUSA nibs and switch just the points to see if that would work.....would only cost you $4.50 to find out. Or maybe Anthony has already tried that experiment and knows whether it will work or not???

Berea sells replacement nibs in two sizes. One for the standard pens and one for the big El Grande pen. Same story as before. Don't know if the will fit : but you could experiment for a few dollars or ask Anthony if he knows.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Shane,

In the hour I researched this, I did call CSUSA-no they don't have them.

And I have Anthony's gold nibs in stock, but they are not wide and this lady is nearly blind (uses a red end cane), so she needs a wide line.

Thanks for the input, but not the answers I need yet.

Before anyone suggests it, I know I can get wide nibs for the rest of the line (Baron, and common types-American, etc). She also has a tendon disease that gives her problems with her hands, so she needs a real large pen. I can deviate from the Statesman, but the mechanism has to be large.

And yes, Anthony, I would look forward to your suggestion as the nib-xpert. She is really nice and has had a lousy year health-wise, so if I can't make a solution and you know of a purchased alternative, please let me know.[:)]

As she was explaining the problems she has encountered this year, I thought of you-she also has a great attitude in spite of the adversities (she is a Chicago lawyer, now nearly blind and, at least temporarily unable to write or type).[:(][:(]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Randy,

Guess we typed simultaneously. Thanks for the input and if Anthony does not have a better solution, I will try Berea. I really thought I saw Gent pen wide nibs.

Not the first error I have made![8][8]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Actually, Berea sells replacement nibs in three sizes--fine, medium and broad--for virtually all of their fountain pens. They are also available from www.arizonasilhouette.com. CS USA sells 4 replacement nibs for their Jr. Statesman and Jr. Gents--fine, medium, broad and calligraphic--but the only replacements for the Statesman and Gentleman pens are mediums. Both manufacturers supply medium nibs with their kits. If you are up for some work, an El Grande nib or one of Anthony's large 14k nibs can be "worked" to fit the Gentleman, but it is not an easy thing to get right.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Lou,

That MAY be a road to an answer. I have only turned a few Jr. Gents, but doesn't it taper to a wider "grip end"? Could I turn that outside the bushing diameter and still have a decent fit with the nib? (Kind of an oval design tapering at both ends and larger in the middle to accomodate her hand problem)

All thoughts gratefully appreciated!!![:D]

woodscavenger

Look at Anthony's photos. I think I remember a pen that had a very big curve in it that he sanded on two sides to make an oval type shape. The other thing is just to do as you suggested and use a Jr Gent kit and a large blank and play with a larger pen body. Obviously she care only that it writes well and not how it looks in her pocket. Good luck, and let us know your solution.

Actually you could turn some scrap wood to different shapes and ask her to tell you whick fits her hand better.

Randy_

Ed:

There is really not much difference in line width between a medium point and a broad point. If your client is having visual problems, you are probably going to need to use the calligraphy tip to achieve a satisfactory result. I would look at the possibility of marrying either of the Havana pens with the calligraphy point??

woodscavenger

Go to the guy at nibs.com and see if he can modify the original nib to become a broad or a calligraphy. He looks like he does great work. I guess it depends on how much $$ you're willing to get into this for.

PenWorks

Ed, here is a link to BB's site, he has F,M,B nibs for Barons & El Grande. I bet (but haven't tried) you can buy a broad El Grande nib and replace your Statesmen nib with the Elgrande and it should work.
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Fountain_Pen_Nibs.htm

CSU sells a calligraphy nib that will fit the Jr's or Barons in black & 10K only.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thank you, everyone.

This weekend I will work on making a "heavy" El Grande. I have rollerball kits, will have to order the fountain pens and additional nibs. Will let you all know how this turns out (pun intended).

Fortunately, the pen she selected is a homebrew, so we can make a batch to play with and I can ruin a few trying.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded here and in my e-mail.

To be continued next week.[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom