Why are some tubes' diameter so large?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

For instance the Sierra or the entire Junior series...

Why are the tubes so large? It seems like a smaller tube would be just fine and still allow anything "inside" that needs to be there such as a refill or even a converter.

Maybe I'm naive but there must be some curious minds out there...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

That's a good reason I believe! Yet even for the Sierra, the barrel is not quite paper thin, but if it doubled in thickness, do you feel that would negatively effect the writing experience?

brownsfn2

I think it is the same reason why some like the kitless pens. The pen weight is much lighter so less fatigue. I agree that it has to do with weight.

Cmiles1985

The standard Sierra's (et al) are about a half of a hair thicker than paper thin. My guess on Sierra's (front mount transmissions) are that the mechanisms are thicker. On the finial twist versions, there is sufficient room to decrease the tube size, and at least one model out has reduced tube size to the 9.6mm (~3/8") size. That does leave a bit more beef if you cast watch parts and such.

Cmiles1985

P.S. I've made several of the 3/8" versions for myself. I really like them, but I must disclose that I don't write much other than signing in and out of areas and crunching figures. So, I don't know if that added mass would contribute to quicker fatigue.

Chromey

Also of course if everything was similar size, they wouldn't sell bushings, drills etc etc. However as already said to balance weight of size of pen. Different sizes appeal to different people.

Quality Pen

Also of course if everything was similar size, they wouldn't sell bushings, drills etc etc. However as already said to balance weight of size of pen. Different sizes appeal to different people.
Haha, yes I think in the back of our minds we all consider that the Apple approach to infinitely expanding "accessories" is one motivation... :biggrin::wink:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Well if you weigh a complete standard 27/64th Sierra or Gatsby style against a completed Le Roi V2 (smaller tube) you will find the difference in weight to be just about non existant. The Sierra Vista gets more beef by using a standard tube but larger kit parts (the bushings are larger). I can't speak for the weight of that kit. I suspect though that pen weight is more a function of the metal parts and the fact that some blanks are much heavier than others then it is of the tube size.

Last edited:
My guess would be with the "writer preference" camp. That is why the PSI Magnetic Graduate Fountain is popular with guys who've bought from me - the finished barrel size is more comfortable for the larger hand. Smaller FP sections, such as on the PSI Tycoon, feel dainty in larger hands, and likely more comforable to someone with a smaller grip.

Fish30114

This is a good question, if I can ever find a competent machine shop, I intend on manufacturing my own line of pens. One of the primary features I would demand is that every style pen in my lineup would have a 7mm tube. I don't buy the weight difference thing-the miniscule amounts of wood or acrylic we are talking about are nominal IMO.

I also would only have one kind of transmission--sorry swerving off topic here, but a specific answer to the OP's post is, I think mfgs. just made them that way because it dictated the outer dimensions of the pen (read style) and they haven't asked or listened to us penmakers,who would most likely say let the bushings or a mic give us the dimensions to turn to.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
This is a good question, if I can ever find a competent machine shop, I intend on manufacturing my own line of pens. One of the primary features I would demand is that every style pen in my lineup would have a 7mm tube. I don't buy the weight difference thing-the miniscule amounts of wood or acrylic we are talking about are nominal IMO.

I also would only have one kind of transmission--sorry swerving off topic here, but a specific answer to the OP's post is, I think mfgs. just made them that way because it dictated the outer dimensions of the pen (read style) and they haven't asked or listened to us penmakers,who would most likely say let the bushings or a mic give us the dimensions to turn to.
A little limiting but can work. I think that would also limit you to Cross style refills, I don't think Parker refills will play in less than 8mm. You can get a lot of design variations into 7mm tubes though. Of course your single transmission design would also limit you to cross refills and would likely eliminate click pens...Still lots of variation would be possible.

gbpens

Size, style, type, thickness, etc. are determined by physical limitations of the product, cost factors and primarily customer preference. Manufacturers cannot dictate to the market. If you doubt that ask Ford about the Edsel.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Reality

There are different sized tubes for the simple reason that "one size does not fit all" Never has and never will. Pen makers, make what sells to the public - and that is a wide range of sizes and types. Pen kit vendors list and stock pen kits and blanks that pen makers want to buy. Pen kit manufacturers make kits that pen kit vendors will buy. Any, comments to the contrary not-with-standing, this is a market driven business.

Could some pen kits be made with smaller tubes? Sure they could? And, if the market demanded it they would be. Pretending the market is controlled by the manufacturers is just ignoring realilty. If enough pen turners let the manufacturers know they want an Imperial or Lotus size pen with smaller tubes - somebody will make one.

Quality Pen

I definitely agree with a lot of what's being said!

In the back of my mind, I wonder if some components succeed, however, in spite of certain characteristics! ;)

Flaturner

Interesting thread

I want to take a different tack on the weight thing. If I have this correctly, the wood should weigh less than the metal parts. Larger hole = more metal = more weight. If there is a weight issued about things being too heavy I would think that they should use smaller tubes. However, while the difference in wood weight (as previously pointed out, thanks Smitty) is minimal, the difference in the metal parts should also be miniscule. Just my 2 cents worth.

Fish30114

Smitty37; said:
A little limiting but can work. I think that would also limit you to Cross style refills, I don't think Parker refills will play in less than 8mm. You can get a lot of design variations into 7mm tubes though. Of course your single transmission design would also limit you to cross refills and would likely eliminate click pens...Still lots of variation would be possible.
Smitty one of the reasons I like your Le Roi pens are because they 'leave more meat on the turning' as you so rightly point out--this is where I would be heading with my all 7mm tube idea--perhaps it needs to be all 8mm tubes, as I like the parker refills. I do feel that the mfgs have stayed with the larger tube and thinner turning because the tube diameter dictated the end result on the diameter of the pen--and that they didn't think about it much past that. I would guess you had to specifically request the 3/8" tube you have in some of your pens, that whomever makes them for you didn't offer that as an option. Bottom line is, I think it is ridiculous how then you have to turn a lot of blanks given the tube sizes needed-Absolutely ridiculous...It also seems common-sense-ish to want a thicker turning as opposed to a thinner one.

Top Bottom