Why are pen blanks 3/4" wide?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElMostro

Ok, please have in mind I am new to pen turning. [8)]
But I have a burning question; Why are most pen blanks cut to 3/4" wide? Today I turned a European twist pen from a 3/4" wide blank (first time) and it took me at least twice as long to turn the pen from the 3/4" than when I use a 9/16". Other than more time turning, a bigger pile of shavings and additional wear and tear on tools why use a 3/4" blank? Also have in mind that so far I have only turned Europeans and Slimlines which I can turn comfortably from a 9/16" (or less) blank. Is it not a waste of wood especially when using burls and exotics... Reminder; I AM NEW TO PEN TURNING...[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Because 3/4 accomodates most kits. Most sellers don't know what you (the buyer) will use. Others use 7/8" because it is best for the bigger kits.

If you will mill your own (or cast) then do get the best size for your intended use. I still mill mine bigger than 3/4" as much as possible. More waste but flexibility is more important to me.

smoky10

A blank thats 3/4" is big enough for most of the pens we make. It is easier to order a blank that will do several pens than to order blanks of a certain size that will do only one or two pens. Probably cheaper in the long run.

Ozzy

I agree with Dario, it's because the supplier doesn't know how much you need. When I cut blanks for other people, I cut them 3/4 but no where close to that for my own personal use.

Chuck Key

If you see a feature on the blank that you would like emphasized in the finiahed pen you have room to drill a bit off center to take advantage of the feature.

Chuckie

JimGo

I actually trim them down some times when I'm in a hurry for this exact reason. If I'm making a bunch of b-to-b slimlines and I have a particularly nice blank, I've been known to cut the blank into four pieces and use them to make the pen (you need about .33" to make a B-to-B slimline - need to drill dead on, but it can be done).

Dario

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />I actually trim them down some times when I'm in a hurry for this exact reason. If I'm making a bunch of b-to-b slimlines and I have a particularly nice blank, I've been known to cut the blank into four pieces and use them to make the pen (you need about .33" to make a B-to-B slimline - need to drill dead on, but it can be done).

I should send you my scraps Jim!

I've been throwing blanks that are 1/2" because I think they are too small. Of course I haven't turned any slimlines for a long while now (2 years or more).

ElMostro

Somebody kick me please!!! [B)]This weekend I cut over 300 blanks; Koa, Mango, Figured Mahogany and Curly maple...I cut them all to 3/4" ...all I do are slimlines and Europeans argggggg. Hmm, maybe a good time to transition to other kits. Any recommendations??

Dario

Ed,

That is my main reason for using bigger blanks. I don't like the frustration of blowing blanks.

BTW, I think I know who the generous respondent is [;)]

mdburn_em

Originally posted by ElMostro
<br />Somebody kick me please!!! [B)]This weekend I cut over 300 blanks; Koa, Mango, Figured Mahogany and Curly maple...I cut them all to 3/4" ...all I do are slimlines and Europeans argggggg. Hmm, maybe a good time to transition to other kits. Any recommendations??

I think it would be better to ask this question in a separate thread. You'll hijack this one with that question. EVERYBODY will have an opinion on this.

I don't have anything to add to this thread. It's pretty much all been said. I do attempt to purchase smaller blanks if I know I will make smaller pens. I absolutely hate to use a 7/8" blank for a slimline, no matter how I fancy it up.

ilikewood

It's pretty hard to hijack your own thread![;)][}:)] Kinda reminds me of the sheriff in "Blazing Saddles".

I like Franks response, but to answer ElMostro's second question...you'll have to send all those 3/4" blanks to me and start over cutting all new blanks.[:D]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
There was a time when the only kit was a SlimLine and pen blanks were cut to 1/2" square. As other and larger pens became available, the blanks grew to 5/8" square. then to 3/4", and now 7/8" blanks are avaulable because the pens are getting bigger.

GaryMGg

<br />Somebody kick me please!!! [B)]This weekend I cut over 300 blanks; Koa, Mango, Figured Mahogany and Curly maple...I cut them all to 3/4" ...all I do are slimlines and Europeans argggggg. Hmm, maybe a good time to transition to other kits. Any recommendations??
Since you asked, options include:
Swap, trade, or sell
Rip narrower, use offcuts for segmentation
Bigger gouge when starting to make then round
Mango -- mail some to me, I've never used that [:p]

That's all I got right now.

Gary

leatherjunkie

first let me answer your first question in my way.
yep 90% of blanks are 3/4 diameter, but i dont mind the extra shavings. the 3/4 size actually gives me more room in case i mess up the drilling. that and i only have to keep one size of blanks in stock.

now for 2nd queston.
cigar pen
statesman pen
gentlemans pen
baron pen
to name a few.
the cigar pen and baron pen are my 2 best sellers.
have fun making those shavings and welcome to a very frustraiting hobbie at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom