Why not more black palm?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I have not seen many black palm pens posted, why is that? It is a really interesting looking wood. I have only turned some slims with it and am thinking about turning some higher end stuff. I have seen some posts about it being difficult to turn but have not had any problems. Is it harder to turn on larger pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kingkeyman

I turn a lot of black palm. I love the stuff. It works just as well for the larger pens. It is the only material that I don't use a skew on. You have to cut straight at the grain. If you go at an angle it tends to peel instead of cut.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Cody: Well... it can be difficult, but a worthy challenge.

You searched for black palm - The Wood Database.

Hard fibers, soft wood. On the high side of the Janka scale. May have high silica which will dull tools.

But then, ... a beautiful wood.

(My son turned a bowl from Black Palm last Thanksgiving...) Many bad words resulted!!! He got frustrated and left it on the chuck... I did finish it and sent it to him - came out nice for a small peanut bowl 6" H x 5" W. BUT, it was a challenge.

Post your results!

Mark

Wraith

My issue hasn't been turning Black Palm. It has been stopping it from splitting on the pen, in the winter in the super dry environment.

MikeinSC

I don't like it because it splits easily and using a ca finish takes a quite a bit of work. I have enough issues with it that doesn't make up for the beauty so i pass it over. Unless aim being paid.

CrimsonKeel

Black Palm does make a spectacular pen. However it blows up quite frequently on the lathe. Bundle of loosely held together matchsticks is what I've heard it called.
I think a lot of turners just don't want the hassle of all the prep work going to waste.
I know myself I have made one successful pen with it and 3 exploded chunks of waste blanks. However if your turning stabilized then its real easy to turn.

Top Bottom