Why are my Wallstreet II kits different?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

I bought several kits from a Woodcraft store a while back. Made a few and then put a few of them away for later. Well today is later, and I got one out to build it and the nib section is now shorter than the others? Whats up with that? They are both the same pen kit.The new kit will not even hold onto the tube it is so short. Is this correct? The kit on the left shows the shorter nib section and the kit on the right is a kit I build earlier this year.

Attachments

• 100_0842 (Small).JPG
    100_0842 (Small).JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 329
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

I may be wrong but one looks like a finial twist and the other a nib twist. Also, WC changed manufactures a while back on some pens (I picked up a mass of the "old" kits on clearance, none were wall streets though). It is possible the new manufacture makes them differently.

tbfoto

Here is a better photo of the two different nibs. Like I said, the shorter nib will not even go inside the tube enough to hold onto the tube.

Attachments

• 100_0843 (Small).JPG
    100_0843 (Small).JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

Steve Busey

Here is a better photo of the two different nibs. Like I said, the shorter nib will not even go inside the tube enough to hold onto the tube.

How about with the transmission installed? Will that hold the tube?

One transmission is much longer than the other. Might have to do with the manufacturing cost of putting the finish on the nib, vs using plain aluminum/stainless for the transmission.

Last edited:

Justturnin

And that's why I think it is a nib twist on the shorter one. The tranny will hold it on via friction fit and you just pull it off. Same as the Tranny holds the finial onto the finial twist pen. On these types of pens I have had only one finished side presses in while on the other side a tranny may press in and the finished component will just slide over it.

tbfoto

Ok, I guess it works just fine. The transmission is held in place in the cap and the tube holds onto the cap pretty tight so all is well. I was just thrown off by the different nib length, thinking that was going to make a difference in how it all worked.
This one is for my brother in-law's birthday who is a big John Deere fan.

Attachments

• JD (Small).jpg
    JD (Small).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 198

Kretzky

I came up with your exact query some time ago, & no-one could give me an answer with any degree of certainty.
In my case they were both Berea Sierra kits but bought from different retail outlets. The concensus was that the manufacturer had for some reson changed the design, but no-one could clarify why.
As you found out, long or short the pens still go together ok.

Last edited:

tbfoto

I came up with your exact query some time ago, & no-one could give me an answer with any degree of certainty.
In my case they were both Berea Sierra kits but bought from different retail outlets. The concensus was that the manufacturer had for some reson changed the design, but no-one could clarify why.

I made several with the old design and never had any problems nor had I ever read about any problems so I was kind of puzzled.
I was thinking that maybe a nib from a different kit had gotten put into the bag by mistake. I guess I like either way. They both work ok.

It does make sense that the longer transition would place it within easier reach if someone unscrewed the tip and pressed it in. I wonder though, if the longer trans fills the finial, so it can't be pushed in too far. That would definitely explain the change, but I don't see why they wouldn't have advertised that "fix".

tbfoto

Kretzky

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I bought several kits from a Woodcraft store a while back. Made a few and then put a few of them away for later. Well today is later, and I got one out to build it and the nib section is now shorter than the others? Whats up with that? They are both the same pen kit.The new kit will not even hold onto the tube it is so short. Is this correct? The kit on the left shows the shorter nib section and the kit on the right is a kit I build earlier this year.
I'd venture a guess that the assembly instructions are different now..... particularily if the nib section does not unscrew from the longer press piece.

edstreet

I would say that I am shocked but that would be a terrible lie. I could also name many kits that I have seen inconsistent parts, missing parts, parts that did not fit, was not fully machined. I could also name countless times where quality is the lowest on the list as for priority.

Honestly? I could probably go on all day with that but I wont. What I should point out is kits should be used basically as a stepping stone on your way to a much better product. Learn the mechanics then make your own stuff.

tbfoto

I would say that I am shocked but that would be a terrible lie. I could also name many kits that I have seen inconsistent parts, missing parts, parts that did not fit, was not fully machined. I could also name countless times where quality is the lowest on the list as for priority.

Honestly? I could probably go on all day with that but I wont. What I should point out is kits should be used basically as a stepping stone on your way to a much better product. Learn the mechanics then make your own stuff.

While all of this is true....as a consumer, if I walk into a store and they sell me a kit that is suppose to make a pen......it shouild make that pen. Anything less is a problem. If I go to a store and buy a new shirt and buttons are missing....it is not up to me to supply the buttons.
As pen makers....we are all going to encounter issues of some type if we do this long enough.....thats where this forum is great. Helping each other.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I may be wrong but one looks like a finial twist and the other a nib twist. Also, WC changed manufactures a while back on some pens (I picked up a mass of the "old" kits on clearance, none were wall streets though). It is possible the new manufacture makes them differently.

I believe you are thinking of Rockler, who has changed manufacturers.

Woodcraft is still purchasing from Berea, who has supplied them as long as I can remember (mid 1990's)

Top Bottom