Why long cone and cap on RB kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie69

Is there a technical or manufacturing reason for the short body long front cone/cap on screw cap roller ball pens that is so prevalent with screw cap roller ball kits?

I've turned a few different style RB pen kits and all but the PSI magnetic graduate have an oddly long front cone and cap: which looks fine when the cap is on but I (and the people I've given rb pens to) find the long front cone weird to write with: and with the cap posted they feel awkward. The Magnetic graduate is an exception with it's magnetic cap and it feels great as a writing instrument. Why don't the pen kit manufacturers make kits with a shorter front cone/cap and a longer body? Woodturning'z orion pen kit is a little better than others but it still looks strange to me with the cap off; feels nice writing though. I've browsed through most of the pen resellers websites and can't seem to find any screw cap rb that has a long body short cone/cap. Am I not seeing it or does it simply not exist? Any recommendations for a longer body, short front cone/cap kit?

Charlie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie69

Take a look at the Cambridge, Churchill, and Roman Harvest. Very nice sections on these pens.

Harry

Thanks Harry, those look like what I might be after.

The Zen (CSUSA) has a nice long body and a short nib.

The Zen and the PSI magnetic cap version I really like. Unfortunately the only reason I make pens is to give them away:eek: and I would hate to have somebody's atm card or smart phone ruined because it was in a purse or pocket with a magnet. Nice shop made pens are a great gift for the person who has everything.

Turn the pens closed end, you can make them any length you like.

I love the look of a closed end pen! The Orion RB pens use up nearly all of a 5" acrylic blank. I might be able to squeeze another 1/8th" out of the blank but after drilling a 60 deg center hole in the closed end section (TBC) there isn't much blank left. What I need is a 6" acrylic blank:biggrin: Wood works and I have one finished with poly that is sitting in a drying cabinet.

Flat bottom closed end, round closed end (hole drilled with my 2nd smallest center bit) and stock hardware. Not a whole lot of blank left to make the pen body longer:frown:

Attachments

• IMG_1814.jpg
    IMG_1814.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 183

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Take a look at the Cambridge, Churchill, and Roman Harvest. Very nice sections on these pens.

Harry

Thanks Harry, those look like what I might be after.

The Zen (CSUSA) has a nice long body and a short nib.

The Zen and the PSI magnetic cap version I really like. Unfortunately the only reason I make pens is to give them away:eek: and I would hate to have somebody's atm card or smart phone ruined because it was in a purse or pocket with a magnet. Nice shop made pens are a great gift for the person who has everything.

Turn the pens closed end, you can make them any length you like.

I love the look of a closed end pen! The Orion RB pens use up nearly all of a 5" acrylic blank. I might be able to squeeze another 1/8th" out of the blank but after drilling a 60 deg center hole in the closed end section (TBC) there isn't much blank left. What I need is a 6" acrylic blank:biggrin: Wood works and I have one finished with poly that is sitting in a drying cabinet.

Flat bottom closed end, round closed end (hole drilled with my 2nd smallest center bit) and stock hardware. Not a whole lot of blank left to make the pen body longer:frown:

Solution 1: look for longer pen blanks---I know you can get 10" in several styles at my favorite retailer!!

Solution 2: Build the pen with the acrylic stick, make a cap from solid color acrylic or a "rotacrylic" which also adds some interest to the pen.

Justin H

It's strange, but I have yet to use a self-turned pen that actually feels comfortable to write with. Sierra's, Navigator, Majestic Jr, the bolt-actions, tech bolt actions, so far, every single one made of wood or acrylic are overly heavy on the back end and are uncomfortable to write with. :(

I'm still looking for a kit pen that feels good in my hand AND looks good.

kovalcik

It's strange, but I have yet to use a self-turned pen that actually feels comfortable to write with. Sierra's, Navigator, Majestic Jr, the bolt-actions, tech bolt actions, so far, every single one made of wood or acrylic are overly heavy on the back end and are uncomfortable to write with. :(

I'm still looking for a kit pen that feels good in my hand AND looks good.

Interesting. Is that due to the way you hold your pens? For instance do you hold them way down low on the nib? I have never heard anyone describe a Sierra as top heavy. What do you usually write with? How about a wood slimline turned straight barrel to barrel? That is about a light of a kit pen as you can find and most of the weight is down low.

edstreet

Is there a technical or manufacturing reason for the short body long front cone/cap on screw cap roller ball pens that is so prevalent with screw cap roller ball kits?

I've turned a few different style RB pen kits and all but the PSI magnetic graduate have an oddly long front cone and cap: which looks fine when the cap is on but I (and the people I've given rb pens to) find the long front cone weird to write with: and with the cap posted they feel awkward. The Magnetic graduate is an exception with it's magnetic cap and it feels great as a writing instrument. Why don't the pen kit manufacturers make kits with a shorter front cone/cap and a longer body? Woodturning'z orion pen kit is a little better than others but it still looks strange to me with the cap off; feels nice writing though. I've browsed through most of the pen resellers websites and can't seem to find any screw cap rb that has a long body short cone/cap. Am I not seeing it or does it simply not exist? Any recommendations for a longer body, short front cone/cap kit?

Charlie

Same reason there is a spring in all the rollerball kits ;) Yet commercial factory rollerballs does not use a spring, go figure.

It's a fudge factor.

Top Bottom