Why I do NOT like the Delta Midi lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I have a Delta Midi that is about 2-3 years old. I bought it about a year and a half ago and it was barely used. So far this is what I have experienced.

1) The spindle shaft was slightly warped. Replaced it for ~$25.

2) Niether the old nor the new spindle shaft would accept a drill chuck--- the MT2 on the two drill chucks I have would bottom out on the inside of the spindle taper. I had to use a 1/2" drill bit mounted in the tailstock (where they fit just fine) and hollow out the spindle shaft some more just so the drill chucks would fit the spindle taper.

3) The threads on BOTH of the spindle shafts were too deep. I could not, for the longest time, get anything that threads onto it work right-- they turned out of round. Once I put a thick washer on it (behind the chuck) to allow the chucks to bottom out, they turn true as blue.

4) The tailstock has too much slop in it-- side-to-side motion. Even the Harbor Freight lathes don't have as much as mine does!

5) The quill on the tailstock was just a tad too fat for the cast iron hole that it fits in. I have always fought this, and drilling was difficult b/c the wheel was hard to turn. I assumed it was simply b/c of sawdust getting in the screw threads. I would disassemble, clean, and lube---- -no effect. So I totally removed the quill, mounted it in my 4-jaw Barracuda chuch, and used some 60 grit sanding belt to skinny it up a tad (followed by a tripoli buffing). When I remounted the quill, it extends/retracts smmmmooooootttthhhh and slick. I can give the handwheel a good strong spin and it will, just by momentum, totally retract or extend. Made drilling SO UNBELEIVABLY EASIER.

6) Changing the belt to, or from, the lowest setting is a pain b/c the belt gets pinched in the latch that holds the cover shut. This latch also comes unscrewed a LOT and I had to CA glue them tight.

In other words,

GET THE JET OR THE RIKON.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smoky10

I've had my Delta midi for over 4 years and I like it. I had the same problem with my drill chucks MT2 but it had a flat tang on the end so I ground it off and it worked fine. It was the MT2's problem not the lathe. When I bought my lathe a thick flat washer came with it to put behind the face plate so it would tighten up and be straight and true. I've had no problems with the quill except for its short extension length. Too bad you had so much trouble with yours but you can get lemons in anything and it will turn you against that brand.

I have a Delta Midi - it also has a thick flat washer came with it to put behind the face plate but I don't need it with my Beall collet chuck. I do agree with point #4; I have to be careful of the position of the tailstock when I lock it down. Other than that no problems.

redfishsc

Originally posted by smoky10
<br />I've had my Delta midi for over 4 years and I like it. I had the same problem with my drill chucks MT2 but it had a flat tang on the end so I ground it off and it worked fine. It was the MT2's problem not the lathe. When I bought my lathe a thick flat washer came with it to put behind the face plate so it would tighten up and be straight and true. I've had no problems with the quill except for its short extension length. Too bad you had so much trouble with yours but you can get lemons in anything and it will turn you against that brand.

Smoky, you are right about the flat tang on the drill chuck, but only one of my drill chucks have the tang. The other chuck does not, it is flat-ended just like every other mt2.

Delta just seems to be going downhill with their equipment quality, which seems to be the case with most manufacturers these days. Start out great, and then entropy kicks in. I have a friend here in town that recently bought a Delta table saw that is the same size as their venerable Unisaw but is a tad cheaper. When he plugged it in, the blade was spinning with so much runout that it vibrated the table top. I don't care if a tablesaw is FREE, if it has runout like that, it is useless. Any company that is willing to compromise their reputation with bologna like that is just about useless. I think "entropy" is Chinese business term for "cheap labor".

As far as the flat washer is concerned, is there a valid reason to have a "washer" and a "non-washer" configuration? Every single threaded tool I have (including the Beall) absolutely requires that washer or else it will spin out of round. I can't find a reason why you would want to thread anything on there without the washer, though as mentioned above some folks apparently don't need it with the Beall, but mine certainly does. Why on earth whould Delta make something inadequate and then toss in a washer just to make up the difference? Just sounds like lousy design to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom