Why is this finish going splotchy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snazzypens

Hi Can you help me why is this pen going splotchy, When I turned it the pen cracked too. I am talking about the one on the left, the jarrah burl pen. The other just in the photo because they are both this weekends pens. Now the finish is going splotchy and won't hold it shine on it why would that be? Any suggestion please
thanks
Toni

200691822024_this%20weekends%20pens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

emackrell

Toni,

What kind of finish did you put on it?

BTW I like the segmented pen, it's almost like an optical illusion the way the straight lines go off in different directions!

cheers Eileen [8D]

Snazzypens

No accelerent, I was using the fangar techniques except I don't slow it down the lathe because I am allergic to the CA but if I leave it going faster I don't have a problem but I have done about 6 pens now without the slowing down and this pen is the only one that has done this to me. I also did the one on the right after that one so they were both the exact climate and time,
bye
Toni

I forgot to add the CA is not a fortnight old

alamocdc

Toni, James' technique doesn't use BLO. If you applied it over BLO, the CA is blooming because of the oil. If you want to use CLO, use the technique that Russ supplied via video last week.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I am guessing you started the finish immediately after turning and sanding.
Chances are the mandrel and the blank were still warm. The heat of the mandrel radiated thru the wood carrying the moisture with it.
this happens to me if the wood isn't dry and I don't let it cool down.

scasey88

Toni, do you use dna to wipe down the blanks between grits?
I was having problems with the blotches too and stopped using
dna to wipe down the blanks and along with being more aware of
the heat like Eagle said, my finishes have been much more consistent

Dario

I don't use BLO if I can't wait a day or so before applying CA.

I bet it is the (uncured) BLO that's causing the CA finish to be blotchy.

Joe Melton

Toni, I just finished a batch of pens, including one of Jarrah. The Jarrah pen was the only one whose finish is bad. It looks like it has wax on it and hasn't been buffed. I think it is something about the wood. Maybe it has a chemical that reacts wrongly with the CA or the BLO.
Joe

Snazzypens

Thanks Guys. I do still use DNA with each layer.

Thanks Joe, I did both those pens together same time, one after another, and yeah the segment was nice finish and the jarrah burl, well yeah! Very dissappointed in. I did do another one once before it never went like this. I am starting to think this wood I bought was green.
Thanks everyone help is appreciated
bye Toni

Fangar

I have also had issues when using old DNA if you are. The DNA turns to water and causes issues with splotches too.

Cheers,

Fangar

Tanner

Sorry to bump this up again, however I am getting real tired of splotches on my wooden pens. I do Fangars method and it looks awesome until the last sanding after the two thick CA applications. I let the pen dry completely before starting to sand again. It looks like the splotches follow the grain of the wood in some areas. The pen looks great after the sanding sealer and the two thin and two thick CA apps. Then I start sanding and here come the splotches. Could it be bad CA? I got it from Rockler, just their brand. I did not use accel at all. I let everything cool down while I watch TV. Just that last sanding brings out the splotches. I almost just want to forget about the CA applications. I'm tired of expensive Ambroyna Burl, Irish Bog, and others splotching. Always sort of following the grain. My elk antler pens and acrylics look awesome. With or without DNA, same results. I'm in Arizona, so no humidity. I'm in the garage at around 70 degrees. I did order Hot Stuff CA glues. My DNA is only a couple of months old. Thank you in advance for your help.

Kemosabe62

I too am having exact same problem. Worked on finishing 9 pens yesterday, BLO/CA all and having areas just not "shining" (for lack of a better word). The ninth pen I tried some Wipe-on-Poly. Will go back this morning and see how that turned out. I'm waiting on my airbrush to arrive from HF and will try the lacquer finish. The only time I have great results is when I finish the corn cob blanks. Otherwise it's hit or miss. Yesterday I missed 8 times.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
BlO IS an accelerant when used with CA.
It can be applied prior to applying the CA.
DNA has water in it otherwise it would be pure alcohol.(in my drinking days it would be "alcohol abuse" to put it on pens)
Is it possible that you are not getting an even thickness of CA on the pen and then sanding through it in spots?
Some woods just don't take a CA finish or are just problematic.

Tanner

Maybe I am sanding through in some areas.[?] I put the CA on with Viva and it looks great, nice and smooth, just a nice even application. The blanks look great with CA applications, nice and smooth and shiny. Do you guys sand below the bushing then add enough CA to build up to the bushing? I really have not figured that one out. It just seems like if you leave the wood a hair above the bushing for sanding purposes and CA applications you have to sand back down to the bushing so it fits right with the parts. So, you have to sand through everything to get back to the bushing. So, again, do you sand below the bushing then build back up to the bushing or a hair above it, with the two thin CA and two thick CA applications, then sand just a little back to the bushing?

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Tim, I think you are worrying too much about the fit of the wood to the parts. It is true that the perfect pen will have the wood and the mating fittings at exactly the same diameter, and that is a goal worth pursuing. However, in the real world, when the wood is any amount smaller than the fittings, everybody notices; but when the wood is a bit larger than the fittings, nobody notices. If your bushings are the same diameter as the fittings and you are sanding to them, nobody will notice that the finish makes them a little larger than the metal fittings.

Tanner

Thanks Russ, I'm kind of a perfectionist and look for the sizing to be exactly the size of the bushing. I don't make pens to sell, just for friends and family, so nobody will complain, it's just me.

By the way, I just purchased all your DVD's, and I must say they have really helped me.

Thanks, Tim Olson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom