Why does my FP skip??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Can some one point me to something I am doing wrong here. I just made a new FP for me to use. I was using a PSI Americana and switched to a CSUSA Americana (rhodium) I put 3 refills thru the PSI one and it never seemed to have problems but this new one seems to keep "drying up" Is it really drying out on me? It's normaly when I go to use it (it's capped when not in use) that it has no ink. It will also skip while in use here and there. Yesterday I went thru the cleaning porcedure posted a little bit ago and put a new refill in it, but no help. Same refills I have been using. So what gives?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeffj13

Lee,

The nib on a fountain pen needs to be broken in. I had the same problem with a churchill that I made, it skipped when I first used it. After writing with it for a few days, it writes much better.

Also, nibs can have different flow rates and pen inks can have different viscosities. If the flow is not that good, you might want to try a different brand of ink. It is my understanding that Noodlers makes a thinner ink that might help.

Here is a link to pen ink information:

http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/ink/index.htm

jeff

Firefyter-emt

It may lean more towards the nib, the last one was a 24k kit and this one is the rhodium. I used a few of these refills and did not have any problems. I may upgrade to some better inks though. I was very displeased when I showed it to a good friend who has bought quite a few of my pens only to get the comment that "It's a stunning pen, too bad it does not write" Did not make my day!

Jeff, wow... That has to be just about the nicest info in one place on something as simple as ink. (why do I feel soon that phrase will sound very silly to me?? as simple as ink, Uh Oh...)

BY the way, to help me out..

gerryr

Get one of Anthony's 14K nibs, gold out, looks very nice with Rhodium kits and they write flawlessly. The difference between the stock nibs and the 14K nibs is night and day.

Scott

Hi Lee,

Fountain pen nibs are funny things. Sometimes they just go and go, and other times they are stubborn. One thing to try is to switch out the nib section (the whole front end of the pen) with a new one from another kit, and see if that helps. Sometimes a nib needs some adjustment, sometimes the feed needs to be conditioned, sometimes - who knows? But if you switch it out and the other one works, then you've solved your problem. Oh, and by all means, do use good ink. I have become kind of a sick ink fanatic - I have sixteen bottles of different colors of ink in my desk drawer (I just counted!). Some of the best flowing ones are Watermans blue-black, and the Private Reserve Tanzanite. Both of these should also be available in cartridges.

Good Luck! And I would like to see your pen!

Scott.

Firefyter-emt

Scott, I would love to take a photo, but this pen just will not photo! I don't have the time to mess with it, but the jet black wood and that much bright metal makes it hard. Pretty easy to vision in your mind, straight B2B dark Africak Blackwood on a rhodium kit, the finish is 10 coats of wet sanded lacquer that looks like glass.

bjackman

Lee,
You might try flushing the nib/feed with a 50/50 amonia detergent soloution. Sometimes remenents of the manufacturing process leave oil and other residues on the feed, nib and inside of converters/ink pumps. Many recommend doing this before first use, but it wouldn't hurt to try it now.

Scott

Hi Lee!

That sounds fantastic! I love blackwood, so I know what you mean about not being able to photograph it properly. I suggest you use a glossy black background, then you won't have to worry about the photo at all! [}:)]

Flushing the nib is a pretty good idea. I just got a new pen a few days ago, and I soaked the feed in the ink bottle for a few minutes to get the pen started right, but it would write until the ink in the feed ran out then it would go dry. It was not drawing any ink from the reservoir. I got some suggestions, and started by soaking the whole nib and section in water with a little soap in it, overnight. Then I took an eyedropper and flushed some of the solution through the section and out the feed rather forcefully, to see if there was any debris that needed to come out. It worked, and I now have good flow through the pen.

But with the pen kits we use, it is just easier to switch out nib sections to see if it was just a defective one.

Enjoy the pen! And if you have any questions about fountain pens or ink, please ask them! I started as a penturner, then learned about fountain pens when I wanted to start making and selling them. Now I have become somewhat of a fountain pen fanatic in addition to making my own pens, and own a number of new and vintage commercial fountain pens. Every new pen I buy gives me ideal about things I can do with pens I make! It all comes around.

Scott.

Firefyter-emt

Well, this is the best I can get right now. I put in in my flat bed scanner and it does not do it justice, but you can get an idea. (next time I have to remember to wipe finger prints off!)

untitled.jpg

By the way, the pen is working good now...

EDIT: I was working on a pen case and got a good photo. A little background, I am making 2 rollerball Americanas in the same African Black wood for some big brass at my work. They will be a close match to mine in color. I bought 2 card holder boxes from CSUSA but I was not happy with the two-tone color match. So I decided to cut the box apart and replace the wood ends with matching wood. I also made it a little thinner for better looks. I should of just made my own, but these are "free" pens.. project "brown nose" [}:)]

Before:
http://www.penturners.org/oldalbums/Firefyter-emt/AB box-1.jpg

After:
http://www.penturners.org/oldalbums/Firefyter-emt/@ 063.jpg

Those cards were under $30 shipped from www.vistaprint.com The pen is a fountian pen in the photo. [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom