Why to avoid cheap kits...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vmsherp

Here's a couple of the cheap fun line kits from psi after just riding around in one of those leather pen books. I guess the elastic band rubbed? (I got a pile of them as an xmas present, won't buy them myself)

b977c0f18e9ac564b2d55c7999765823.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Sigh... I won't add comments, but I agree with your general reflection.

I have settled on 4-8 kits that I really like, am familiar with, and enjoy their quality (mid-priced to higher-priced).

KenV

There is a difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive". I do beleive you have used the more accurate term in the original post.

I hate to spend the time and effort on a product that is that marginal in outcome.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
There is a difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive". I do beleive you have used the more accurate term in the original post.

I hate to spend the time and effort on a product that is that marginal in outcome.

I'll agree. I have made many service pens with "Quality" Slimlines, and I found them to be very acceptable (I still have/use several after 9 months).

jfoh

Kits like that are fine if you are going to let a kid turn a few pens so they can learn. If you are hoping for the pen to last long I don't use them. I hate their transmissions. They feel like they have grit in them and no amount of working on them helps them smooth out.

Talltim

I know everyone has different ideas, but I wish there was a "kits to run from list".

By the way looks like a nice harbor freight coupon as a photo backdrop. I have gotten some good things there and a few I wish I had run from also.

Last edited:

cseymour

As a new pen turner, how would one tell between a cheap and quality Slimline kit?
Are there preferred makers?

Thank you

When I first started making pens I couldn't figure out how people could afford to make the expensive pens. Now I wonder why everyone doesn't make the expensive component pens. It is really funny how you evolve. I only use maybe 5 component sets now! I would suggest anyone new make more cigar style pens than slimlines. The cigar is easy to turn, has some heft and uses a parker refill. Nice pen for beginners!

JimB

I know everyone has different ideas, but I wish there was a "kits to run from list".

By the way looks like a nice harbor freight coupon as a photo backdrop. I have gotten some good things there and a few I wish I had run from also.

The problem with this is not everyone will agree about what belongs on the list. What one person thinks should be on there another person will consider it the perfect kit for their purposes.

JimB

As a new pen turner, how would one tell between a cheap and quality Slimline kit?
Are there preferred makers?

Thank you

Several of the vendors have multiple lines of slimlines. If they call it a slimline then it is probably a good kit. If it is part of a 'line' of kits, such as a 'funline' it is probably a cheap kit. Price is also an indicator. The cheap ones go for half of what the good ones sell for.

If you aren't sure just post the question on here saying what kit you are looking at.

Rockytime

Interesting thread. I have not turned a pen for nearly a year. Old pappy time is pickin' my pocket. I no longer write cursive. As a result I have to draw each character. Time consuming. All due to diabetes. However slimlines are my favorite pens. I have always liked the feel of a slim pen. The Sieras and similar pens would allow my fingers to slide towards the nib. As a result I have always turned my pens with a slight flare at the nib. A number of years ago Woodcraft sold cheap slimlines in bulk. Can't remember but it was perhaps two dozen pens for 30 bucks or so. The transmissions were cheap but always worked well. I'm posting a picture of one of my very first pens. Don't know the wood but is has been my carry pen since I started turning. The turning is not the greatest, the finish is dipped in polyurethane. I've turned lots of pens since but more slimlines than anything. Cheap so I can give them to the butcher, the baker or candlestick maker.

Attachments

• 1-20170716_135724-1.jpg
    1-20170716_135724-1.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 203
  • 2-20170716_135724.jpg
    2-20170716_135724.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 148

cseymour

Thank you for the clarifications.
It is interesting and again it seems you do need to experiment and follow what you like.

Once again, thank you to all for your valuable perspectives.

This forum does get addictive.

Cheers.

Top Bottom