This is why...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

This is why I do some of the things I do like sharing, teaching, demonstrating and writing. I received this email today from a friend in Africa.

Hi Don.

It's been quite some time since we last had a chat.Trust you are well.I'm the guy that was given your book.Modified Slimline Pens: beyond the basics by my college (name omitted by me) and thanks to that my life has been pen turning and more pen turning.I know you did ask me to keep in touch with regard to my progress and I admit I have been a bit naughty on that one. However you will be pleased to know I'm called the slimline guy by my fellow pen turners.
Say what they want but it's been my inspiration and foundation in creating very exciting and unique pens. Plus the fact that I have passed your book onto a number of youngsters [on the condition I get it back] and some of them are producing quality stuff , good enough to pay for college studies or pay for all those extra goodies youngsters always need.

You may have thought I gave up pen turning or fell off the edge of the earth.To the contrary, I decided to down tools for awhile in pursuit of mustering up a team of qualified jewellers ,stone setters,engravers, gold and diamond dealers etc, the list goes on and on.

It's much longer than I expected ,however within the next few months if all
goes well I will be launching my first limited edition of hi end hand crated writing instruments and will send you some preview pic,s before I open my web site and would appreciate your comments.
God bless and kind regards.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks for posting Don!

I have also watched/read your materials and am better for it.

As some recent threads on IAP have debated how to respond to recurrent questions (and has been a topic since the stone age), I appreciate the "Teacher's Attitude:"

...Every year I will have new students, and will teach the same lessons. And at the end of the school-year, I will have a new group of better-skilled, better-educated beginners who can now proceed in a more informed manner to learn and grow...

... I am a TEACHER!

Yes Don, your materials are still relevant and appreciated.

Be well, Mark

Kenny Durrant

Congratulations Don. It's good to know your efforts are paying off. I've said thanks to you and others before either here on the IAP or in person or by phone but not quite like he did but the feelings are the same. Once again thanks for all you do!!!

flyitfast

Adding to this "tribute" to Don -
In addition to all the support that Don has provided thru IAP, books, articles, tutorials, and personal guidance. I would like to applaud his teaching and growth provided to all age groups at SWAT each year.
The smiles on the faces as a new pen turner completes a pen is priceless. I know I have a big smile whenever I have completed a different Modified Slimline!!
Thanks Don.
See you next month at SWAT.
Gordon

its_virgil

Thanks for the nice comments although my purpose for posting the email I received wasn't to garner any praise or accolades. I just wanted to share the email i received with my friends here.
Thanks and
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom