Who's your supplier?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
ANTLER
Where does everyone get antlers from, and for how much? I see lots of whitetail and axis antler as well as some elk. I've even seen some exotic stuff. So where does everyone get their horns/antlers?

KITS
Its time to stock up on kits again, and I was wondering where everyone buys their stuff. I used to order from WoodCraft but found the slightly more expensive Jr. Gent kits at Craft Supply USA.

What are some other good places out there to buy from?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sparhawk

For kits click on the "links" button ay the top of the page. Most of the reliable vendors are listed there.As for antler I get mine from huntin buddies.

Rifleman1776

Think outside the 'buy' box. If you have hunting friends, ask them for antler. I prowl flea markets and antique shops and find a lot there. I have never bought an antler blank from a major pen supplier.

MarkHix

What Frank said.

My brother is a taxidermist and he always has some for me in several different species. It just occurred to me that I never asked how a taxidermist could have extra 'cause it seems like they come in with a set and need to leave with a set. Oh well, Make friends with one or offer to swap a pen.

PaulDoug

I have yardsale going friend that bring it to me when they find it at yardsales. You should see the nice set of elk antlers my sister-in-law brought me that she paid 50 cents for!

workinforwood

First, you get a job driving a semi truck, then you pack a bone saw in the door compartment, pay attention in the ditch, write down the mile sticks when you see a dead buck so next time by you can be prepared to stop and collect the antlers.

Worst place is auctions. People pay 10 times what antlers are worth, they fight for them, then they take them home, toss them in the attic, die, and back to auction again...it's crazy! These the same people buying rusty 12" quick grip clamps for $20!

Darrin

Being a Vegan myself, I think if you want to use an animal's parts in your turnings you should have to go and get it yourself and not rely on someone else to do the dirty work. Not meant to be rude, just my take on it :) And yes, I know Im the only vegan here, but I had to say it.

mrcook4570

So you would prefer that antlers be taken from another deer, even though there are lots of perfectly fine (and unwanted) antlers available elsewhere? Antlers can even be found on the ground in late winter. Bucks (and the occasional doe) grow new antlers every year.

1nfinity

Being a Vegan myself, I think if you want to use an animal's parts in your turnings you should have to go and get it yourself and not rely on someone else to do the dirty work. Not meant to be rude, just my take on it :) And yes, I know Im the only vegan here, but I had to say it.

So, if I follow your logic, we should likewise grow our own vegetables rather than purchase them from a grocery store or a farmer's market? That way, were not relying "on someone else to do the dirty work." :)

Consider the possibility that Texasfootball21 doesn't hunt, have friends who hunt, know a taxidermist, or have access to late winter antler droppings. In that case, he has to count on the free market (where other individuals dirty their hands for a price) for his supply of antler.

cozee

LOL!! I get the bulk of my deer antler from a duck hunter!!

I cast him resin blanks that he turns duck, goose, and deer calls from. He has buddies who hunt deer. Trades calls for antler and trades antler for blanks! Nothing wasted nor needlessly harvested. And everyone is happy!!!!

Thanks guys.

So after reading that garage sales are good spots I stopped at one today. Mentioned deer antlers, and a woman called to her husband about antlers. They lead me to their barn and pulled out a huge basket of antlers! The husband said some were worth $75 each, but luckily the wife screamed "Take as many as you want, 5 bucks a piece!" The husband said he was going to try to make door handles out of them and he clearly didn't want me to take them all so I picked up 3 good ones. He threw in another one for me. I paid them $40, about $20 more then the wife wanted. The man then told me that his brother has hundreds of antlers he would get rid of, and took my contact information.

Thanks again guys, I would not have stopped if not for the advice.

Daniel

all my antler came from friends with e exception of two. most of them are sheds that they found while hiking and they simply thought of me when they found them. two are full antlers i bought from a member of this group for there uniqueness. and I actually have a full rack that hangs on the wall of my shop. I can't seem to use it as fast as people bring it to me. So put out the word that you use it.

ANTLER
Where does everyone get antlers from, and for how much? I see lots of whitetail and axis antler as well as some elk. I've even seen some exotic stuff. So where does everyone get their horns/antlers?

KITS
Its time to stock up on kits again, and I was wondering where everyone buys their stuff. I used to order from WoodCraft but found the slightly more expensive Jr. Gent kits at Craft Supply USA.

What are some other good places out there to buy from?

Joseph,
I see you're in Texas... How far from Jewett?? I tell everyone about my antler supplier who has a Junque store in Jewett. I'm not affiliated with him in anyway, but always got a good supply of his antler everytime I get back to Texas and have time to run by there.... which I need to do soon.
Call Trade Mart Antiques, Terry or Carla Jones, 903-626 5707, they are at 721 North Main, Jewett, Texas.. they had a room in the back of the store about 10x10 with piles of antler all over the floor... pieces range from $3 to about $20 per piece... he runs a game farm and has Axis, white tail, some african's and probably a few others I don't recognize.

For Kits, I shop the internet with all the suppliers... I look for best pricing I can find and go that route... CSUSA, PSI, Woodturningz, Arizona Silhouette, WoodpenPro out of Hawaii, Packardwoods, HUT, WoodnWhimsies and probably a dozen I've missed.

Crayman

I buy my antlers from Ebay, put in a low price and wait usaully get 1 or 2 out of 10 I bid on but it does keep the supply up and the price down. I did sell a pen to a Guy who is suppose to get some moose antler for a few more pens.

Craig

Top Bottom