Who's click pen is better?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I have a customer that insists on a click pen. I have avoided them simply because of their reputation for feeling cheap.

I have heard better things of CSUSA's click pens, but they only come in 10k or 24k, niether of which am I about to use.

Berea sells one in chrome, which I would consider, but does it work as it should?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

The two kits that seem to get consistently good reviews are the "SLIMLINE-PRO" Gel Writer from PSI and the BUTTON CLICK from Berea. Unfortunately, neither is a particularly attractive pen IMO. I'm fixin' to try the Berea Flat Top American click pen. It is a much nicer looking pen......can't say whether it performs well or not??

Regardless of the kit, there seems to be a universal sentiment that the click kits are unusually sensitive to getting the lengths of the blanks correct. Do be careful to pay attention to this area!!

bgray

I would make the pen for the client, but put in the caveat that you don't trust the quality of those pens, and don't recommend or guarantee them.

If the client still wants it, then have at it.

But I agree. There isn't a click pen out there worth making...my opinion.

DozerMite

Banned
Hello,
I'm new to the forum.
I have turned more than my share of click pens since that is my wifes pen of choice and most people I make pens for. It's easy one hand operation with no caps to drop makes it nice to carry for check writing.
I used to use the kits from woodcraft (never again), I had to modify every kit to get it to operate. Now I use the kits from PSI and they are much better. There are no modifications needed and as far as the length issue... I haven't had any. I trim the blank to the barrel (even went a little to far a couple times) and haven't had any problems at all. Just my opinion...

bjackman

I seem to be in a small minority, but I have not had any problem with the click pens functioning. I have made a couple of CSU's and won't do any more until they offer more durable platings.
My current click kit of choice comes from Bill Baumbeck and Berea. I only do it in chrome finish. I don't really mind the look, but as others, I have plans to turn down, embed and otherwise hide the centerband. At that point it will be a mostly wood look similar to most other pens I prefer to do.

Randy_

Originally posted by DozerMite
[br.....I used to use the kits from woodcraft (never again), I had to modify every kit to get it to operate.....

Which kit was it, exactly, and what sort of modification did you have to make??

DozerMite

Banned
I don't know the kit number, but it is the only click kit they had and it was the gold. I had to shorten the insert for the upper insert and hone the inside of the lower insert and smooth the ink refill at the tip just to get the mechanism to click repeatedly. Otherwise it would jamb after a few clicks. After these (all of these) modifications, I never had one fail, but that is time consuming and shouldn't need to be done to begin with. Poor engineering IMO. Again, only my opinion from personal experience.

Brewmeister35

I had problems with the click sets as well and the only one's I will make for people anymore are PSI's "power" set and the slimline pro gel-writer. They are both nice solid mechanisms and I have never had a problem with the pro's.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I was recently listening to someone ranting about the poor quality of the "click" mechanism, and then discovered that he was pressing the pen together by applying pressure to the top of the "clicker". I suggested that he should have been using a bushing or something with a hole in it so he was pushing on the body rather than the mechanism to assemble the pen. He did that. No more problems.

I am wondering how many of the problems with the "click" pens are caused by pushing on the mechanism to assemble the pen.

redfishsc

Thanks all!

Russ--- I will remember to use the bushing trick. Thanks!

Oddly it sounds like PSI makes a good one. I tend not to use anything but their slimlines (and rarely at that) but I think I may give them a shot this time.

Many thanks again!

Matt

mdburn_em

Russ,
I will just add that I've had horrible luck with click pens and I use a piece of cut-off/waste blank that I drilled a 7mm hole through. The button fits inside very nicely AND it is long enough. I still have problems.

Uh, the Gemini really has a very dependable click mechanism if you can get past all the bling. Put that with a hot pink blank and you can't keep them on your table.

There, I'm out of the closet. Yes, my name's Mark and I make Gemini's...

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
It has always seemed strange that Bic can make a click pen the sells for 39-cents and lasts forever, while we can't but a kit whose mechanism will outlast the ink.

arioux

Hi Russ,

I may be able to give you an answer on that one, since i do a lot of business with their office in France. Bic is an European company that have a very very high standard of quality even on their low end product (wich is 75% of their business). Their production and quality control is one of the most effective in europe right now and is copied by a lot of other manufacturer (i went to visit one of their plant for this reason). They opened a plant in China last year and have implemented the same quality control, with their peoples in place. If they would go for the same control as our kit manufacturer, they could probably sells their pens for $0.19 not $0.39 but with the same rate of failure as our kit wich they don't want. The day we will have the same quality on our kit, expect them to go up by 30 to 50%. Quality control involve a lot a skilled peoples, a lot of procedure and is time consuming. This have a cost.
And the biggest problem we have is that we still try to find slimline kit under a dollar[:0].[:D]

Alfred

Ligget

The first manufacturer to supply us penturners with a quality click pen in various platings such as titanium gold, platinum etc would be overwhelmed with orders.

Hope the big three are reading these posts![;)]

rtrimyer

Hey does anyone know where I can get a click pen kit that has a 7mm tube? The smallest I have found is through PSI, with whom I am currently a dealer. I have no problem ordering from another company though. Yes, I want to make click pens, my wife really likes them but wants something smaller than PSI's slimeline pro gel and power.

Thank you,

Robert

PSI's "Classic" Click Pen, the PKPARK-X is a pretty good pen.. I made one in deer antler that I carried at work for about 2 years until I dropped it and it hit wrong and cracked the barrel on the clip end. You have to watch the dims on the lower barrel where the cap end slides down over it or else you'll have problems... I think it always felt a little loose to me though. I would have liked to seen it in other finishes than the gold though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom