Whole Burls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmhoff10500

I'm looking to get into the whole burl buying business and i was wondering if anybody had had any especially good service from any of our vendors, or if they know of any good places to get it from, Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nolan

Let me know if I can help you as I have and keep about 20k lbs of burl in stock at all times.

I'm looking to get into the whole burl buying business and i was wondering if anybody had had any especially good service from any of our vendors, or if they know of any good places to get it from, Thanks!

Nolan

The sizes and weights are all over the place and they will go for around 20-22 per pound. This piece to give you an idea of density is 4.5 x 11 x 1.5 and it weighs 1 lb. Please folks don't ask as this piece is for a personal project so its not for sale. Also once I cut the burls the price goes up fast as it takes labor and creates waste. Hope this helps.

Nolan, what's a rough price range on whole chunks and how much do they weigh... On average.

Nolan

yah sorry
blanks018.jpg

Ok, thanks. Did you mean to post a pic...?

Texatdurango

I recently met a gentleman who has a lumber mill in Laos and imports his own wood to Dallas. He has a huge warehouse full of burls and exotic wood and specializes in burls; Livingia, Amboyna, Afzelia among several others that I can't recall right now. Depending on the size and species, his burl prices run between $8 and $17 per pound and run from small 10 pound caps to 400 pound monsters. The more you buy, the cheaper it gets.

He is considering cutting some nice size blocks of nice amboyna and afzelia burls that will fit into the USPS large size flat rate boxes (12 x 12 x 5 1/2") for around $12 per lb.

I am helping him set up his web site now and it should be up and running in a few weeks. If interested, drop me a PM and we can discuss details.

Here are a few burls I recently bought from him to give you an idea of what he's got....

Attachments

• slab1.jpg
    slab1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 257
  • slab2.jpg
    slab2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 258
  • slab3.jpg
    slab3.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 222
  • slab4.jpg
    slab4.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 255
  • slab-sample4.jpg
    slab-sample4.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 270

Jmhoff10500

Thanks for all your guys response (and laughs), you have all helped a bunch! I think i have sent out pm's to everyone so far so..

Len Shreck

I have never turned any type of burls I know it really makes some awesome stuff but isn't it hard to turn and needs to be stabilized before turning?

Texatdurango

wow tex.
how many pounds fit in a large flat rate? (roughly of course!):)

Well, he hasn't cut any 11/34 x 11 3/4 x 5 1/4 blocks yet but to give you an idea, I weighed several blocks I have in the shop and an amboyna burl 6" x 6" block 3" thick weighs right at 3 1/2 pounds. I also have burls that I cut into 2" slabs, one being close to 12 x 12 and it weighed 11 pounds. Assuming I put four of the 6x6 blocks and one 2" slab in a large flat rate box, I would be looking at close to 25 pounds.

The afzelia and amboyna burls are dense and heavy, at least the ones I have dealt with.

Texatdurango

I have never turned any type of burls I know it really makes some awesome stuff but isn't it hard to turn and needs to be stabilized before turning?

I have turned my share of non-stabilized burls, mainly amboyna, afzelia and rosewood and never had a problem.

Since first laying my eyes on amboyna burl a few years ago it has become my favorite wood to turn. Aside from filling the shop with a wonderful sweet smelling aroma when turning, it is probably the easiest wood I have ever turned.

I did a small shallow bowl yesterday and as you can see in the photo there are a few small inclusions or "voids" and these presented no problems at all.

Attachments

• amboyna shallow bowl.jpg
    amboyna shallow bowl.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 238
Top Bottom