Who are your favorite pen kit suppliers (and favorite "unique" kits)?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Well, I just had a rather pitiful encounter with one of my pen kit suppliers who likes to talk to their customers like they are a 5 year old, so rather than go on any more of a rant, I thought I'd actually post something helpful.

So what suppliers are your personal favorites (for variety and customer service, or any other reason), and what pens are your favorites to order from them?

I'll start---

Beartooth Woods---- Churchill, El Grande, Sierras, cigars, and various 7mm kits.

Craft Supplies--- the big Gentlemen's pen, Statesman, and their 7mm kits are good (would be better if they left the "A" off the slimline clip).

Lau Lau woodworks--- I just got in my first batch of "Stretch" pens, and I LOVE them! Especially the durable platings-- ti gold and black ti.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Shannon

I like how Craft Supplies ships the same or the next day you order and provides you with a tracking number. I despise a big pen kit seller that the actual ship date seems to be when ever they get around to it.

jskeen

+1 for Aaron at laulauwoodworks.com I love his "neopean" for sets, one pen and one with a .05mm pencil insert. He has some darn nice curly koa wood blanks too!

I buy jr statesmen and jr gents from Ed at exotics, so that I don't have to buy 10 at a time to get a price break.

Drstrangefart

I like Woodcraft out in Roswell, Ga. It's the only place I've been, but it was a cool place. I'm extrememly fond of their Bullet pen kit, with the exception of the clip. Next time I'm gonna buy some chrome clips to replace the cheesy looking little rifle shaped clip.

latelearner

In no particular order, I like the following:

Arizona Silhouette
Exoticblanks.com
Bear Tooth Woods

All of the above offer great customer service and excellent products.

tim self

Depending on which kits I'm using:

Woodenwhimsies
Exotics
CSUSA
AS

I just haven't gotten around to buying from Ernie. And yes, Bill can be a little rough around the edges.

redfishsc

I did forget to mention Woodturningz for their 7mm and cigar kits, definitely good people to deal with.

I've bought from Ernie at Beartooth off and on for the past several years and he's always been a fantastic person to deal with. The folks at CSUSA are also some of the more helpful folks too in my experience.

JimB

I can't really say I have a favorite supplier. I have bought from CSUSA, BTW, AS (group buy), Woodcraft and Rockler. I have always received excellent service from all of them. I have had only 2 problems with kits I purchased and in both cases the supplier resolved the problem immediately.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
No one speaking up for Berea?

Although Berea does sell direct, they are represented by Arizona Silhouette, Beartoothwoods and, starting Monday-www.exoticblanks.com

Because this is "penturning", as I understand it, that is about all I can say without it being an ad.

Keep an eye on the MVV in the next couple weeks, there will be more "observations" about this development.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

redfishsc

I haven't personally ordered from them. Most of the pens I sell are "unique" types--- like the Gent, Baron, Zen, etc... who tend to only be available from 1 or 2 suppliers.

For the pens I can get "anywhere", like cigars, 7mms, and Sierras, I order those from wherever (and whenever) I order those "unique" pens mentioned above..... as long as the price is reasonable. Saves me in shipping charges usually, since I rarely buy more than 5-10 kits at a time of anything.

juteck

Willee said:

I order direct from Berea as well as their resellers. Have always had good service and fast shipping. Also ordered with good service from Arizona silhouette, Craft supplies, woodcraft, bear tooth, woodtuningz, laulau, Packard woodworks, etc. It's been a while since I've ordered from Hut or PSI - never bad service, just not quite as quick as the others.

juteck

juteck said:
I order direct from Berea as well as their resellers. Have always had good service and fast shipping.

Forgot to mention that every now and then, Berea direct has a special that I haven't seen beat before - but you have to keep an eye on their website almost weekly to luck in on a good one.

jttheclockman

I had to pull my post to this because some would get upset. All the big names were mentioned as far as sellers. Buy from the whomever you feel has the best price. As far as kit goes good luck with that one.

Last edited:

dtswebb

Bear Tooth Woods. Ernie has the kits I make, his customer service is first rate and he's just a darn good person. Ernie's kits are the highest quality and very fairly priced.

Woodturningz. Ryan has a great selection of wood and acrylics and his prices are fair. Customer service is tops.

Matthew

redfishsc

Very good list here folks, thanks for participating, and keep'em coming!

As a side note, for woodturning tools, it's really hard to beat the value of the PSI lathe tools. Dollar for dollar they will do nearly all that you want.

Tanner

Exoticblanks.com - Best unusual and different blanks. Fast service.
Arizona Silhouette - Good specials, good prices, full range of supplies. Fast service.
Bear Tooth Woods - Huge assortment of blanks. Good specials. Full range of supplies. fast service.

rjwolfe3

For me - any of the vendors that support this site!

I especially love Exotics because I can find almost anything there. I don't order large orders so Exotics work perfect for me.

I am really partial to Jr Gent II's!

S.A.Mappin

I use several because each one has a particular kit or price on a kit that I like.

Arizona Silhouette ( I wish they would get the El Camino's in some different platings:wink: )

Beartoothwoods ( I especially like the black chrome and gold/silver Euro's )

Woodturningz

CSUSA

Penn State Ind

The only thing I don't care for ( pertains to CSUSA ) is the fact that they put that little "a" on their clips and centerbands on some of their pens. I'd prefer to not have someone else's logo on my pens.

Top Bottom