Who would tell...???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

This afternoon, trying to keep my body and head busy with something rather than, a mild food poisoning and the flu that got me by the "curllies" since last Saturday, I got 2 of the nastiest shorts I had from this bunch of blanks and decided to make a pen sample, double barrel style.

These shorts were covered with wax (superficial, only) basically to keep them all together, more than anything else so CA soaking had to be done after the blanks were glued to a wood stick and turned enough to get them round, taking the tape and the wax with it, after that CA soaking was easy as per normal.

I did take pics of the blanks being wrapped with masking tape, to make sure they would keep together for the drilling, and some pic from it after drilled. This is always something that I suggest people to do, when dealing with fragile type blanks...!

There is not a lot more to explain, after the half a dozen of CA coats, right to the final polishing, the question is, WHAT IS IT...???

I have used these specific shorts, in an attempt to give them the credit they deserve, as may be a perception that, having soft spots makes them useless/unworkable. I could easily have put these barrels in one of many dozens of pen kits I have but, I don't sell pens and I have more already made that I can poke a stick at so, making the pen "samples" either in this double barrel style or straight as normal, is more than sufficient to give an idea of how the wood would look like.

Nothing too important, really, I just though in make a little sawdust...!

Let me know, if you know what they are...!

Have fun...!

PS: Sorry for the surface dust particles, I never saw it...!:frown:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_2655z.jpg
    100_2655z.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 285
  • 100_2656z.jpg
    100_2656z.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 196
  • 100_2657z.jpg
    100_2657z.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 100_2660z.jpg
    100_2660z.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 100_2661z.jpg
    100_2661z.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 243
  • 100_2662z.jpg
    100_2662z.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Too much time seating here...!

I am certain those are called datsum purdee wood. :wink:

Yeah, I've though that you guys wouldn't make the connection, and that is the very reason why I though in make another sample specifically with 2 of the pieces from the same box/same batch...!

I doubt that your wood species suggestion, is yet to be found in the scientific world but, I believe would be a very common name for all those bits of wood that we have no idea what they are so, in a way you are correct but not quietly...!:wink::biggrin:

The wood species of these 2 shorts used is the #26 Platypus Gum Burl heavily brown spalted, which has the code number of #26B1

I don't have that many of them, nor that is the point or the reason of the thread but, I sometimes see people missing out on something great and relatively rare and inexpensive, only because doesn't look that appealing...!

I deal with these sorts of wood related dilemmas every day, where a hidden treasure is not always a easy thing to bring out to the unsuspecting eye...!

How to give these unique and sometimes fragile treasures, the credit they deserve...??? the human assumption that, if is too cheap, ain't any good or of interest, is far from the truth and while I do my best to make people aware of this reality, (in the context of what the issue is) sometimes it makes me wonder, why I even bother...!

Is it a "commercial" interest, $ orientated...???, my answer would be, "are you kidding me...????"

I, and like so many of you, have a damn expensive hobby, mine produces lots of bits of wood that, for a lot of folks out there, in the same wave link as myself on these issues, call "goodies" and like to have. I try to reach those people, the best way I know and can however, not always successful...!:frown:

Some of you, may by now be thinking, "what is this guy on about...???", hahahah, nothing to panic about, just a little of "degassing" from the inability to go down to my work-shop and make some sawdust, as this damn flu bug, is driving me nuts...!). I would have some chances, if I had a toilet in the work-shop but, I doubt I would be safe around the bandsaw...!:eek::frown:

In regards to the wood blanks, the moral of the story is, "don't judge the book by its cover...!":wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

plantman

:eek::eek: George: Some of my most impressive pens are made out of wood given to me by members of my woodworking guild and labled junk or scrap. Many of these pieces are cutoffs from a large board that have some "imperfection" that the woodworker can not work into his project. They don't seem to understant that all we need is a piece 6'" long by 3/4" square to make something of beauty. I always enjoy the look on there faces when, at the next meeting, I hand them a pen and pencel set made out of there "scrap" wood.
Jim S

robutacion

Thank you for the tip about masking tape I wish I knew that one a few weeks ago when I worked with some spalted oak.

No problem...!

If you think, this is a good tip, what about a sandwich jig made out wood scraps, where the blank is sandwiched at all 4 sides, kept tight and in place by 1 or 2 wing-nuts...??? This is only applicable for drilling soft/fragile blanks in a drill press...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Oh, well...!

Well, incredibly doesn't seem that anyone have made the connection about these blanks, and my last add on the premium classifieds still on...!

There are 2 x 500gr packs of these for sale in there @ $7.00 a pack and this will be second time I put these oh IAP classifieds and no one took any notice. I wondered if was due to the fact that I did not had a dedicated sample of these shorts but, now that I went through the trouble to make one up and show how they really look when finished, still no one show any interest...!

I find hard to believe that, being from a rare Aussie burl that you don't find anywhere (so far), no one is interested after all this, not that I'm the slightest concerned about the $14.00 for the sale of both packs (a considerable fortune, I may add..!) but, and as I said, I will not keep these blanks for IAP members at these cheap prices, twice was enough so, eBay folks will have the opportunity, if by the time the add closes, they still unsold...!

Sorry folks, you loose...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom